8:13 in the Morning

"I have high, high hopes for each of you."

I woke up the next day in the Manor. The bed was the most comfortable I had ever slept on, the room was the perfect temperature, and I went to bed on a full stomach. But it had been the worst sleep I'd ever endured. 

Dreams about what might happen very soon to me, to my friends, to Draco, had floated across my mind all night. They never once woke me up so I was left to suffer with them. 

I looked at the older looking clock hanging on the wall to check the time. The clock read 8:13. I shuffled out of bed and changed out of the pajamas they gave me. I knew today was the first day I had to pretend to be part of the Hartwood legacy, whatever that might end up being. 

What exactly do you wear on a normal day around here? Around death eaters, Azkaban escapers, the Dark Lord. 

I opened the door leading to the large walk-in closet I now had. After spending a while shuffling through clothes, I found a black satin dress I had bought with Narcissa.

'It could be too formal though.' The thought came into my mind but was quickly pushed off. I was in one of the richest families' houses. I lived here now. Nothing was too formal. So I put it on. 

Taking one last glance in the mirror, I walked out of the closet and headed for the door to find my way to the dining room. I sucked in a breath before opening the door and walking out.

As I made my way through the winding halls of the Manor I passed house-elves and death eaters. This would become my new normal. As must as I pained me, I kept my head tall and pretended that nothing fazed me. 

"Oh, I was just about to come and get you!" A cheery voice said behind me. The voice was so distinct I could tell who it was from a mile away. "It's time for breakfast." She said everything like a taunt and it was obvious she had been in Azkaban for a while. 

I just nodded my head as she ran ahead of me, grabbing my wrist and dragging me down the halls of the Manor. She was skipping, dragging me along. "Here we are." She jumped to a halt and I almost ran into her but I balanced myself. I peered in the room she stopped at and sure enough, it was full of people. 

She kept holding onto my wrist as she pulled me into the room, stopping at an empty chair next to Draco. "You sit here." She said letting go of my now red wrist. I pulled out the tall, velvet chair and sat down. 

"Well, nice to see you too," I mumbled to Draco who hadn't said a word. He shot me a warning glance and I shut up again. And that's when I realized why he wasn't talking. Voldemort sat at the end of the table. 

My heart fell once more and I realized things weren't a joke. Draco had said he was in the house yesterday but I didn't think he'd still be here. Everyone continued to take their seats and someone finally claimed the seat next to me. Peter Pettigrew. 

I scooted my chair closer to Draco as quietly as I could. He gave me a comforting look before one of his hands rested on my thigh. 

After everyone was sat, house-elves started bringing breakfast. 

"Welcome all of you," Voldemort said from where he sat. "To the first Death Eater meeting. Well, first for some of you." His gaze shot quickly over to me and Draco. Draco took his hand from where it rested on my leg away. "Speaking of," He got up from his chair, pushing it back loudly against the hardwood. He slowly walked over to where Draco and I were sitting.

The fear inside of me rose greatly, but I kept my gaze and face straight. Draco did the same. The Lord walked over and stood in between our two chairs, resting a hand on each. 

"In twenty-six days, this lovely duo will be initiated and join our cause. I have high, high hopes for each of you." His breath was cold and even more un-nerving was his appearance. Pale skin, long nails, no nose. 

The long table cheered and hollered for us. It would've felt great if it was for any other reason at all. 

Yet here I was. Sitting next to Draco. Sitting next to Death Eaters. Having Voldemort saying he had high hopes for us. For me.