Our moment

"Okay, okay. I was gatecrashing. Happy?"

Draco and I planned to go back to the cabinet today. It would be the last time we would be able to before Christmas break. Today was also the day of the Slug Club party meaning it would be a good time to be able to sneak off without being bothered. 

We sat in a little window seat in one of the hallways to make sure they were clear before we left. Although we were trying our best to not be suspicious it wasn't really working. He was wearing his black suit and I was wearing my black dress and grey coat. 

We weren't talking. We just sat in silence as usual. I looked out the window at the fields and lake below us. In the distance, I could faintly see our tree swaying in the wind. 

I started to hear footsteps down the hall and turned my gaze to them. It was Luna and Harry. They were wearing their nicer outfits for the Christmas Party. I caught Harry's gaze and he stared at me with fear and anger inside of him.

If I was myself I would've stared back at him with the same gaze but I looked away. I remember a time when Harry and I were friends sitting in detention together and cleaning out the wounds for Umbridge. And now it was just hatred. I don't know how he knew or what even rose his suspicions but it had ruined what we once had. Whatever that was.

Once they passed us Draco and I gave each other a look and a silent nod before standing up from the concrete window seat we were sitting on. The two of us had learned how to communicate without even talking. It was strange but it made things easier. 

We walked down the empty, cold hallway. The only noise being our shoes against the floor and the occasional sound of faint conversation. 

Finally, we arrived at the door to the Room of Requirments and opened it. We walked into the crowded room once more. The eerie glow had clouded my view like it normally did. Draco made his way to the cabinet but my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to check something out really quick. 

Piles and piles of books filled the room but that's not what caught my eye. I saw a corked bottle with the contents shimmering green. I leaned over to examine it further before picking it up. 

The dusty label read in black letter, Wiggenweld Potion. We had learned about it at some point since the name was familiar but I couldn't place my finger on it. I decided it couldn't hurt so I placed it in one of the pockets of my coat and went to find Draco. 

He was standing in front of the cabinet mumbling the words 'Harmonia Nectere Passus' which was the words you had to say to fix it. I came up behind him and placed the palm of my hand on the small of his back as I stayed to his side. He reached out and opened the cabinet door revealing that nothing was there.

"What does that mean?" I asked wondering if it had worked or not since I wasn't there when he started. He didn't say anything, just closed the door, held out his wand, and mumbled the words again. 

This time when he opened it his face dropped. I peered so I could see the contents and inside laid a green apple. He fumbled it with his fingers and when he turned it around it showed that a bite had been taken out of it. 

It had worked. The cabinet works...

I couldn't tell if I should be happy or absolutely terrified. We just helped Death Eaters gain passage into the school. 

We had finished one task and now we needed to finish the other one. Kill Dumbledore. 

------

After we left the Room of Hidden Things in the Room of Requirement, it was already past curfew. 

We walked through an upstairs corridor which was strange since we never went this way to the common room. I didn't really even know why I went this way I just followed Draco.

"Caught 'cha." A raspy voice said from behind us. We turned around quickly to be greeted with the slimy face of the nasty school squib. Mr. Filch. "Now, where are you two love-birds sneaking off too." He said approaching us with crossed arms. 

"We..." Draco stumbled over his words and I gave him a quick look to tell him to make up his mind and I'd go with whatever he said. A smile crept onto his face. "We're late for the Christmas Party and-"

"Lies!" He yelled as he grabs the collar of Draco's suit in his right hand and my arm in another. He started marching forward, despite our protests for him to let us go. 

He made his way through the corridor until I could see lights coming from a room and cheerful conversation up ahead. 

"Take your hands off me, you filthy Squib!" Draco hadn't given up and was still protesting as we entered the room. 

"Professor Slughorn, Sir. I just discovered these two lovebirds lurking in an upstairs corridor." He pronounced loudly still holding on to us tightly as if we'd run. "They claim to have been invited to your party."

"Okay okay, I was gatecrashing. Happy?" Draco finally admits under the pressure. 

Cold stares came from everyone in the room. Well, all the Gryffindors at least. Hard footsteps broke me out of my gaze as Snape made his way to us. I didn't even realize he was here till now.

"I'll escort them out." He said, glaring coldly at Draco. Draco scrunched up his face before talking back. 

"Certainly, Professor." The Squib let go of the to of us and I crossed my arms in front of my chest like I normally do when nervous. We walked out of the room, the anger evident within Snape. 

"What have you done??" Snape says after a while. I didn't know what he was talking about until he continued. "The hex? Everyone thinks it was you two. Was it?" I unfolded my arms as we walked.

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl. Maybe I didn't. What's it to you?" I asked sharply. Snape snapped and threw me and Draco against a wall of a corridor. I slid out and walked to the side hoping Draco could take the lecture himself. 

"I swore to protect you." He pushed a finger in Draco's face. "Both of you." He snapped his head toward me then make at Draco. "I made the Unbreakable Vow."

"I don't need protection," Draco tells him. "I was chosen for this. Out of all others. Me. And... and Y/N." He says the last sentence like it still hurt him that I was doing this. I knew it did especially after what happened a couple of weeks ago. 

"And we won't fail him." 

"You're afraid, Draco." Snape cuts him off. "You attempt to conceal it, but it's obvious. Let me assist you." Snape almost seems like he wants this job more than he should. 

"No!" I whisper-yell finally getting into the conversation. "We were chosen."

"This is our moment." Draco agrees. I know it hurts him and all he wants to do is prove himself. And no matter how much it hurt me, I was going to help him. I knew it.