Don't Know Me

"Draco Malfoy cares about someone else besides himself? Even the dimwit?"

I sat alone in the great hall as I picked at my breakfast. My makeup from last night still stained on my cheeks and my hair was thrown up into a messy ponytail (If possible). I rested my cheek in my hand, lost in thought.

"Where the bloody hell were you last night?" I hear books slam on the table in front of me making me snap out of my daze. "You didn't come back to the dorm."

"Hmm?" I blinked myself awake and I rubbed my hands over my face stretching the skin back in an attempt to wake myself up. "Oh, yeah. Sorry." I yawned as I went back to picking at my food.

"What happened last night, Y/N? Rumors are spreading throughout the common room." 

"Rumors are just rumors, Tracey. They aren't true." I reminded her as I finally took a bite of the crunchy toast. 

"Did you really kiss Draco?" I hear a laugh scoot next to me making my eyes widen.

"KISS??" I said panicked. "Theo, who told you I kissed him??" I panicked at my friend.

"Merlin, you look like shit." He laughed a little. I gave him the death glare making him take it back. "Sorry sorry. But that's what everyone is saying. Some even said you and him did the dirt-"

"Oh god," I said exasperated as I look around the room noticing something I hadn't before. Everyone was looking at me and pointing. "Oh god," I repeated under my breath.

"Hey, hey it's ok. What class do you have right now?" Tracey asked.

"Transfiguration." Shit. That's the class I have with him. "Could this get any worse?" 

--------

I rushed to transfiguration so I could avoid the crowded halls. I got to my seat and immediately put my head on the table. I was the only one in the room except for McGonagall. I didn't even want to look up to see what her expression said.

Soon I could tell the class was starting to fill with students. I picked my head up from the table so I didn't draw too much attention to myself. I buried my face in my robes as much as I could to avoid embarrassment. 

"Hey, Dimwit. What are we hiding from?" Draco sets his books down and questions.

"Shut up," I say sharply as I turn and look the other way from him.

"So you going to pretend to hate me still?" He chuckled. I could tell his eyes were glued to the back of my head.

"Oh, I do Draco. I really do." I was still facing the other way.

"Ok. Two can play at that game Hartwood." He chuckled as he turned his body to face the front of the classroom. I slowly turned back around too but still covered my face. I can't believe this is happening. I could hear some people at the desk next to me talk.

'Did you hear that she and Draco did it in the bathroom last night?'
'Really? What a whore.'

My eyes started to swell at the words. It didn't stop there.

'Yeah, I heard she stole Draco away from Pansy at the dance too. Like who does that?'
'Homewrecker.'
'Haha exactly.'

I held myself together before I completely broke. I stood up quickly throwing my hand in the air.

"Can I use the restroom, Professor?" I asked keeping my head low still. She nodded her head and I rushed out of the classroom. Once I was out I sprinted down the almost empty halls. The sixth and seventh years were transitioning I'm pretty sure. I didn't care though.

I ran past groups of people getting odd stares everywhere.

"Y/N?" I heard as I passed a group of Hufflepuff's. "Y/N!" I heard my name again but louder this time. Footsteps started to follow me before I turned my head back quickly to see Cedric. I skidded to a halt and ran to him.

"Cedric." I hugged him and cried into his robes.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked as he hugged me back. People kept passing by but no one ever stopped thank god.

"Everything."

He took me to the library where I explained everything that had happened. With Draco, with Pansy, with everyone, the rumors. His face was full of sorrow.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. I really am." He was the only person I could really trust besides Theo and Tracey. "Look, I've got to go but come find me after school today if you need it, ok?" I nodded as he scooted back his chair gently and stood up. He grabbed his stuff and walked out of the library.

I heard some conversation go on between Cedric and someone by the entrance but I couldn't tell what they were saying. Probably one of his friends. I stayed glued to the chair when he came into view.

"Oh, Merlin," I said as the blonde-haired boy approached me. I got up and started to walk away before he started talking.

"You seemed upset when you left. What happened?" He asked making me stop in my tracks.

"Draco Malfoy cares about someone else besides himself? Even the dimwit?" I say over my shoulder to him.

"Look, I can tell you're upset-"

"Don't pretend to know me." I let out a shaky breath as I start to walk back to class again.

"Don't know you? Like I don't know how you snort when you laugh how you pick and chew your nails when you're nervous? Or how you're covering all your pain behind your sarcasm?" How did he know about that?

"How-"

"Because I do it too." He told me as he started to walk closer to me. We were inches apart and our eyes meet. 

"Draco, look-" I start stuttering by how close he had gotten. My heart was beating the fastest it ever had before yet the slowest at the same time.

 Our eyes connect and we both hesitantly start to lean in. I even began to shut my eyes before I snapped out of it. I jerked my head away before anything could happen. I turned around and left letting out another deep breath. I felt horrible for just leaving him there but I had too. I don't want nor need him or anyone.

I got back to class before Draco and slid into my seat. I was gone a lot longer than a simple bathroom visit and especially the fact Draco was gone too is going to raise even more suspicions but I don't care anymore.

When he finally returned the entire class started to whisper. I buried my head in my hands again.

I felt a ball of paper collide to my head knowing Draco through it at me but I ignored him. 

'Don't talk to him.'

"Talk to me, Hartwood." He whispered to me. I shook my head viciously in my hands. "Oh, come on why not." I just shook my head again.

He turned around for a moment before I felt something collide with my shin.

"ow." I took my head out of my hands and glared him down as I kicked him back. He kicked again and we went back and forth kicking each other until I caught myself smiling. I wiped the smile away quicker than snape's patience runs out.

"I saw that." He smirked at me.

"Saw what?" 

"Class Dismissed!" Perfect timing. I grabbed my stuff and headed out of the classroom to the next one. Which probably wouldn't be better cause he sits right behind me. Guess we'll see.