Understanding

"Aw, you were worried about me. I'm flattered."

The next morning I got up and got breakfast as usual. I hadn't run into Draco which was a relief. I could go to the library and then go to the tree to read. 

I walked into the library and said hey to Pince the librarian before looking for books. I scanned over all the sections and couldn't find anything until I came across one that caught my eye. 

It was titled, 'Animal Ghosts of Britain' which sounded interesting. I picked up the copy and headed to the front to check it out.

"Nice choice, dear. Let me know how you like it." Madame Pince said.

"Thank you!" I said kindly before heading out to the field. The cool winter breeze ruffled my hair and blew around my face. It was chilly but felt nice in a way. When I reached the tree, I set down my books and noticed a new note was on the tree.

I wasn't expecting one too because most everyone would have gone home for winter break. Guess not the mystery person. 

Yeah, I'm staying. And hint number two is that I'm a guy.

The note was simple and I realized that whoever this was wanted to make this into a game. And it was working. Not many Slytherin guys were staying and honestly, I had no idea who it could be. 

Couldn't be Draco. He wouldn't write notes on a tree for me especially. Couldn't be Miles Bletchly, he doesn't know me and wouldn't really care if I was at his tree. I didn't really know anyone else who was here...

Ok ok. Next hint?

Who the hell could this be? I decided that if I was ever going to find out it wouldn't be by overthinking it so I opened the book I just got to page one, slid down the trunk of the tree, and started reading.

The atmosphere was so peaceful. I could hear songbirds from everywhere, the water moving in the black lake, and the wind moving the branches on the bare trees. 

I could see why someone else would come out here as well but it was stupid to want me to leave. And why wouldn't they just approach me and tell me face to face? It was all confusing but I just needed to enjoy this moment for now. 

-----

I was out there for what felt like twenty minutes but I knew it had been longer. Almost time for dinner since my stomach was growling. I walked back up the hill to get to the castle when I saw Draco headed the direction I was coming from.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked him as we approached. 

"Just came to get some fresh air." He crossed his arms as I offended him. "Is that against the rules or something?" 

"Oh, calm down. How long until dinner?" I asked him as he changed his destination to the great hall with me.

"It's about to start."

-----

We walked to the great hall and sat down, waiting for the dishes to appear in front of us. This time it was chicken and apples. I got a red apple while Draco grabbed a green one. We started to eat in silence once again.

"So what were you doing out there?" Draco asks as he bites his apple.

"Why do you care?"

"Well, you disappeared all day. Just wondering what the bloody hell you could be doing."

"Aw, you were worried about me. I'm flattered." I said sarcastically.

His eyes meant mine and they were filled with amusement along with a hint of annoyance. "No, don't be." He chuckled. 

After continuing to eat. I decided I might as well tell him about the notes and the tree. "If you must know," I started causing him to look up from where he was looking. "I was at my tree."

"Your tree?" He asked.

"Yeah. Found it a while ago when Umbridge first came. It's peaceful. Helps me escape." I said the last sentence quietly.

He doesn't say anything, just nods. For some reason, I could tell he understands though he just didn't want to say anything and that was fine with me. 

-----

Later that night I was sitting on my bed in the dorm. I had to write everyone's cards for Christmas that was in three days. 

Let's see, one to the Weasley twins, one to Amos, Theo, Tracey, Pince. Who else? 

Maybe I should-

No, he wouldn't want one.

But maybe?

Then once again my impulse decided. I wrote the last cared, sealed it, and addressed it.

TO: Draco Malfoy