People Change

"But in reality? In reality, you're just another broken soul. Another little girl."

Summer had sadly ended and I was on the platform getting ready to catch the train back to Hogwarts.

"Thank you for everything, Amos. I don't know what I'd do without you." I gave him a tight hug that he returned, patting me on the back.

"No thanks needed dear. Now go on, you've got a train to catch." He ushered me onto one of the cabs as I said my final goodbyes to him.

Once I was on, I walked down the aisle trying to find a place for me to sit. I was specifically looking for two people. Tracey and Theo.  I reached one of the glass doors and when I realized who it was I slid it open.

"Miss me?" I said enthusiastically as I plopped down right in front of them.

"Y/N!" They yelled at the same time reaching across the table to hug me. A genuine smile grew on my face and I forgot how good that felt. "How was your summer? We tried writing to you but you never responded." Tracey asked looking down at her feet.

"It was ok. And sorry, I guess I might not have gotten your letters." It was a lie. I got all of them and read all of them but I couldn't respond back. I was hurting to much. Tracey was not too far away but I didn't feel like seeing her or anyone for that matter which is what scared me. 

After a while of the bumpy train on the railways, I decided to go get some water. They didn't have water on the candy trolly so I'd have to go to the food cabin. I scooted out of the cab and started to walk towards where the water would be. I crossed over cabins until I finally reached the one I was looking for. 

I grabbed a plastic cub and started to walk to the machine before a boy stepped in front of me before I could use it. Draco. I drew in a breath and kept my head glued to the floor so that hopefully he wouldn't notice me.

When he turns around he faces me. "Oh, it's you," He says distastefully as he nudges me over so he could pass. I stumbled to the side and it reminded me of the time we first met. 

'Dick' I mumbled loud enough so he could hear. He stopped dead in his tracks before leaving the cabin. My heart skipped a beat knowing this isn't what was supposed to happen.

Why wasn't he leaving?

I thought to myself. I was frozen in my spot as well wondering if something else would happen. 

"You want to know your problem, Hartwood?" He half yelled as he stalked up to me. He was taller than me so he was peering down at me but I still stood my ground.

"Yeah, Dracey. What's my problem?"

"You think that no matter what, you are this cunning, ambitious, strong women. But in reality? In reality, you're just another broken soul. Another little girl." His words tore at me because I knew they were true and I think that's what hurt the most. Another person could see the pain. Could everyone else? 

He turned yet again to walk out of the cabin back to his own and I went to get water. Before I heard the door shut I made the stupid decision to talk again.

"Yup, run back to your father." It came off more snarkily than I intended it too but it got the message across just the same. The door flung open again and I saw Draco quickly walk towards me. I mockingly raised my eyebrows and he stopped before he got to close.

"Nevermind. You're not that important anyway." He chuckled to himself as his cold grey eyes met mine. The same eyes that I gazed into when I danced across the floor in his arms.

"What happened to you? I thought you were finally becoming a tad bit nicer." I questioned as I crossed my arms.

"People change." For once I took a second to look further into him. The way he was standing, the way he was talking, the slight difference in posture.

"Yeah, I guess they do." Now it was my turn to pass him and head back to my seat. I get there to see Tracey and Theo laughing as they mess around with spells.

"What took you so long?" Tracey asks as I come into view.

"Just- a long line." I sighed as I slid into my seat once again ready to get to school. Ready to get home.