Chapter 42: Fix A Heart

Demi Lovato Fan Fiction

Book 1: It Was A Mistake But I am Unbroken Now

Book 2: Here We Go Again When Two Worlds Collide

Book 3: Love is Loud Enough to Stop Hate

Book 4: That's How You Know to Believe in Me

Book 5: Let it Go for the Gift of a Friend

Chapter 42: Fix A Heart

And I just ran out of band-aids
I don't even know where to start
'Cause you can bandage the damage
You never really can fix a heart.

“Max?” I mumbled as I started waking up.

“Here,” I heard him mumble back and squeeze my waist that his hand was still on.

I looked up at him and rested my head on his shoulder, “Did I sleep?”

“You slept well the rest of the night as far as I could tell. The medication must have worked. I’m glad you slept well.”

“Me too,” I yawned. “Did you sleep okay? I didn’t hurt your ribs or anything?”

“No I’m okay. I actually felt relaxed.”               

“Good,” I mumbled.

“There’s something I need to talk about,” Max said, “Now that we’re both coherent enough.”

I lifted my head up slightly, “What is it?”

“While they were beating me, for the first time in over a year I wished I was dead. I was in so much pain that I wanted them to kill me so I wouldn’t feel it anymore. I was in physical pain and emotional pain because I knew what they were doing to you in there. Physically I was in pain and exhausted and mentally I was a wreck because I wanted to get you away from them. They kept telling me all the details of what they were doing to you and I couldn’t stand to listen to it. I felt worthless.”

“Do you still feel like that?” I asked.

“Demetria I’m in a hospital covered in bruises and broken ribs. I’m in more pain than I’ve been in in a long time. Things were so good for a while, why didn’t they stay that way? Why do things always have to go bad?”

“Things were great weren’t they? We met, we were happy, and we spent time together.”

“Everything was amazing for a while. I’ve never been that happy before. You consumed my every thought. I fell in love with you. Everything always goes wrong.”

“But not everything went wrong Max. The only way to avoid this would be to never have met me at all, and I never want to take back meeting you. We can get back to being that happy again.”

“Can we?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I nodded, “Because I’d really like to be that happy again too.”

“Oh Demetria, I would never take back meeting you. Ever. Meeting you and loving you opened up a whole new experience for me and I never want to go back. I shouldn’t have said it that way. I knew I’d end up saying the wrong thing. I’m stupid.”

“You’re not,” I shook my head, “I know what you meant. You’re not stupid don’t say that.”

“Yes I am and I don’t know how to explain how I’m feeling. It’s coming out wrong and I’ll end up hurting you.”

“No you won’t,” I assured him, “Don’t worry about it. I’m having a hard time explaining how I feel too. I wanted to die at that place just as much as you wanted to die. I remember thinking I wish I was dead because being dead seemed better than letting them do that to me. You’re not the only one that wanted to be dead Max.”