Chapter 38

Daphne... There's that name again. I've forgotten about it since I've been thinking about King Lancer these past couple of days. But now that Artemis had mentioned it, I was reminded of the day when I first heard it.

It was when Loki was talking with Ishtar. He asked about Daphne to her with a tone in his voice that I've never heard him use before. So that gave me an idea that she's important to him. It was confirmed when Ishtar said that Loki should started move on.

Daphne... She is Loki's weakness...

"Your bestfriend?" I asked, not making it obvious that I'm really, really interested of knowing everything about that girl.

Artemis nodded. "That look in your eyes, she also had that before. I thought that it was just her normal look. It was already too late when I've discovered the truth. That she's depressed. She's in pain. She's broken inside. And she was just trying to hide it."

"And you think that I am depressed, I am in pain and I am broken inside just because we had the same look in our eyes?"

She stared at me. Her blue eyes were twinkling with the light from the kitchen. It just made her so beautiful... And alive. So opposite of me.

I could see that she has already experienced being happy like she's on a cloud nine. Her eyes show it all. Those orbs are so beautiful that it could captivate anyone. And maybe that's why Tracer is still sane despite of what's happening with his brother. 'Cause he has Artemis. One look in her eyes could make him feel okay.

She's his string of hope. Kaya naman halos mabaliw na sya noon nang pati ang babaeng 'to ay ginamit namin laban sa kanya.

"Yes." she answered. "Kaya instead of slapping and hurting you the moment I saw you, I stopped myself. I want to know your story. Isang bagay na hindi ko nagawa para sa bestfriend ko."

"It would be better if you just hurt me though." I looked at her and smirk. "'Cause you are definitely wrong. There's nothing wrong with me. I just want to win this game that's why I did all of those things. That's all."

She didn't say anything and just keep on staring at me. She had this ook in her eyes like she's pitying me. And I had to stop myself from pulling her hair and slapping her. She didn't even hurt me. Yet.

But I really, really hate if anyone feel pity towards me.

I wanted to look strong. I've tried so hard to look strong so they wouldn't look down on me. So they would fear me. So my enemies will think that I'm not an easy foe. And I've succeeded. Not until this woman beside me set her eyes on me.

Wala pang isang oras kaming magkausap but it feels like she could see right through me. But I will never let her think that she's right. She's Tracer's wife. And she might be doing this to know my weakness. She's still on the side of EL Ordre.

Inside this house, no... In my whole life, the only one that I could trust is myself. 'Cause everyone has an evil side within them. And one day, there will come a time that they will unleash that evilness inside them.

"Ganyan din si Daphne noon." she said and I rolled my eyes. I didn't bother hiding my annoyance at her. "She's always telling me that she's okay. Pero hindi pala."

"I am not her." I said.

"I know..." she said. "Magkaiba kayo. Daphne hid her pain by hurting herself. And you, you're hiding your pain by hurting everyone around you."

I laughed with emptiness. She said it like she's really sure that I am depressed. That I am like her bestfriend. I don't know what the hell Daphne had gone through but I'm certain that were not alike. And Artemis saying that Daphne and I are the same were like an insult for me.