7. "Ah, shit. Buttons!"

On Monday, Tyler resumed his duties as if nothing had happened. Clara went through the policy of stocking the pantry and buying other groceries with him. At present, this was mainly aimed at feeding the volunteers. It was well thought out. Tyler didn't foresee any problems with it. Today a new phase in the renovation also began. They would be connected to the new sewerage network. It was a project in which extra volunteers were deployed. With a bit of luck, everything would be settled before the end of the day.

Tyler was just making coffee when Nigel, the foreman, came in swearing loudly. He slapped soggy blueprints on the long kitchen table, grabbed his phone and dialed in a number. "We hit a main water pipeline," he answered Tyler, who looked at him curiously.
"I thought you were busy with the sewersystem?" he remarked, somewhat surprised.
"That's right," Nigel agreed. "Unfortunately for us, these blueprints are all wrong. We were digging in the wrong place. The havoc is enormous." He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. "Jared asked me to give this to you."
With raised eyebrows, Tyler took the piece of paper. Before he could ask the man anything else, the person on the other side of the line picked up.

A new group of people arrived, all covered in mud spatter, chattering away.
"Believe me, Tyler, we still look respectable," Dirk joked upon seeing Tyler's expression. "The group that was digging got the full hit. They went to the gym to take a shower and Nancy took their clothes to the laundromat."

"What does the note say that Nigel gave you?" asked Clara.
Caught, he snorted stubbornly upon seeing the expression on Clara's face. "Tyler?"
Inside, he grumbled, folding the note open. "He wants me to get him clean clothes."
His fingers closed around the paper. He knew that any kind of rebuttal would result in a loud sermon. Besides not waiting to hear Clara praise her boss, he knew that despite the large group present she would not spare him. Snorting, he stomped into Jared's office where he picked up the key to the car and front door.

The house was completely quiet. He turned left and reached a part of the house he hadn't been to before. A long corridor with a few doors gave access to what Tyler would call a 'Mastersuite'. The bedroom was generously furnished with fireplace, seating area and desk. The bed on the back wall was king sized and on the left the door to the bathroom was open. This too was generous and luxuriously decorated. Next to the bathroom was a walk-in closet.

It was here where his mouth really fell open. Handmade wooden cabinets gave space to rows of exclusive designer clothes. A boutique for the upper segment would be jealous of the collection. Everything radiated class. He let his hands slide past the hanging by color dress shirts. Ties, shoes, top quality suits. He could read "Savile Row" on the label.

Frowning, he reread the instructions. Third closet on the left. He opened the door by pressing it slightly. The contents of this closet were more what he was used to from Jared. Still no confection, but less flashy than the rest.
"Jared? Are you there?" he heard someone shouting in the bedroom.
Tyler cursed the guilt that struck him when he heard Eric's voice.
"No. It's me. Tyler."
"What are you doing here?", asked Eric, clearly pleasantly surprised. Without paying attention to the extravagant display around him, Eric walked into the walk-in closet.

Tyler had to admit that Jared's threatening words had more impact than he had imagined.
"A water main was hit at the construction site. Jared asked me to get clean clothes."
He looked into the closet and grabbed a shirt and jeans. In the course, he grabbed a pair of sneakers. He searched and searched but found no underwear. With a light blush, he turned to Eric. "Erm.... Do you know where his underwear is?"
"At the bottom left of the drawer," was the direct answer, so Tyler didn't for the first wonder what the exact relationship between the two men was.