6. Eric.

When he got home, his mother hadn't start cooking. "Jake's on a business trip and Miranda invited us to dinner."
"Us? Is the Smurf coming too?", asked Tyler, ignoring his accelerated heartbeat and knowing Naomi was under the table. 
"Hey," she cried indignantly. "I can hear you."
Marion smiled warmly at her.
"Your brother is just teasing you because he's going to miss you so much tonight."

Tyler looked at his mother asking.
"Naomi's going to stay at Germaine. She'll be picked up in a moment."
"Do you have everything? Can I help you with anything?", asked Tyler, pulling her on her lap for a big hug.  "No, everything is ready." Enjoying herself, she let herself be swayed back and forth in his arms.

As soon as Naomi was picked up, they crossed the garden and arrived at the patio.
Miranda greeted them kindly. "It's so nice that you were able to come. There's another guest joining us. I hope this doesn't disturb you?" She looked at Tyler as she asked. Charmingly, he leaned towards her and placed a soft kiss on her cheek.
"For your cooking, Miranda, I can bear a lot." Laughing, she pushed him a jug in his hands. "Do you want to put this on the table and get the boys?"

The patio and dining table were nicely lit. The immediate space beside that was dark until you got to the pool. The small spots provided enough light. He put the jug on the table and stepped into the unlit area. Careful not to kick any potted plants, he put his feet down with policy. He heard two male voices before he saw them. Jared sat on a sunbed with his back to Tyler. Opposite him on the sunbed beside him was an unknown man. So this was the guest?

He was around Jared's age and attractive. Blond hair, blue eyes, full lips and a dimple in his chin. He was speaking at length, and Jared seemed to hang on his lips. This one seemed relaxed and his smile looked so casual that Tyler could hardly imagine this being the same man. The pair sat with their knees against each other and the atmosphere felt intimate. For a moment, he froze in the dark.

He cleared his throat to announce his presence and stepped into the light. Both men looked up and upon seeing the disgruntled look in Jared's eyes it became clear to him that he was intruding. Tyler had an uncomfortable and confusing feeling.
"Your mother send me," he said apologetically.
The blond man jumped up and pulled Jared along. "Introduce me, Jared."
The words were spoken with a blatantly French accent.

"Eric, this is Tyler, the neighbor's son. Tyler, this is Eric." It sounded polite, but not really heartfelt. Eric laughed. "You're such a sourpuss, did you know that?", and pressed a kiss on Jared's disgruntled mouth.
Before Tyler could react, the Frenchman grabbed him by the shoulders. "Bon soire, Tyler," he said charmingly, kissing him on both cheeks. "Nice to meet you."
"Same here," Tyler pressed out with difficulty. As soon as Eric let him go, he took a big step back. He looked at Jared's face with no hint of relaxation. On the contrary. The muscles in his jaws moved violently. Tyler wondered why?

Eric also had the highest word at the table. He was extremely entertaining. His mother was very fond of him. Tyler only listened with half an ear. He regularly threw his gaze at Jared. The scene of that morning played over and over in his head. What had inspired him to provoke the man like that? He knew Jared wouldn't just let this go. And what was he supposed to think of that stupid remark that he was acting like an ignored woman? Involuntarily, he stroked his chin where Jared's finger had touched him. Another image forced itself on him. Jared being kissed by Eric. His expression fell.

"Tyler?", Miranda asked. "Would you like to help me with dessert?"
"Of course."
As soon as they were alone, she asked: "Tyler? Are you having a disagreement with Jared? You've been staring at him strangely all night." She stroked tenderly along his cheek. "Even Eric noticed."

Tyler fell silent and shrugged. Miranda observed him while they prepared dessert.
"I understood from your mother that you're settling in nicely at work. Has that changed?"
Tyler dodged her questioning gaze.
"If he's being mean to you, I could to talk to him for you," she said, frowning through the glass wall, looking at Jared.
"No, please, Miranda. It's okay," he rushed to say. "It's just, well.... Erm.... sometimes he's just so.... present," he said, uncomfortably.