36. A painful search.

Tyler escorted Princess Jasmine to her seat. She sat at the head of the table, with on Fleur's side, Sheikh Jabaar and on Tarek's side, Marwon Al-Din. There was a relaxed talk about all sorts of trivial things from which Tyler concluded that they didn't discuss matters at the table. He wasn't sad about that. Because it provided him with the much needed time to settle down from his epiphany. He realized that outside of his own family, these were the most important people in his life.  They had given him a chance to develop in a way he never dreamed of. The fact that the man opposite him was the source of all this made Tyler just love Jared more.

Tyler was chosen by Princess Jasmine as the protector of the family. By losing his heart to Jared, his priority had changed. His self-interest was secondary to Jared's wishes for his family.
And so, when they pulled back into the salon after the meal and Sheikh Jabaar said to him: "Tyler, as a thank you for your help in uniting our family, we would like to grant you a wish. Whatever you want," his answer came without hesitation: "Seeing your family united and happy. That's my wish."

The old timers sat on the couch together and Tyler sat on a chair in front of them. The rest of the company was left in the dining room. The warmth that send his way through happy smiles was applauded, but also made him sad. This was probably clearly readable on his face because Sheikh Jabaar said: "Speak, Tyler. What's up?"
He slipped out of his seat to his knees in front of them and shook his head. "In you, I have found a new family and a life that is very dear to me. The trust given to me in this means a lot to me, but I have to tell you something. Keeping this to myself doesn't feel right." He grimaced and took a deep breath. "I'm gay."

Three heads nodded wisely.
"That was very brave of you," Marwon grumbled.
"As long as you follow the house rules and don't cause scandals, that's your business," Sheikh Jabaar replied not unfriendly.
"You have earned our respect through your actions. Our affection by who you are," princess Jasmine captioned. She opened her arms and Tyler crawled in.
The two men patted him on the back.
After Tyler had gathered himself again, he returned to his seat. Thoughtfully, he looked at the senior of the three powerful people in front of him.

"I hadn't thanked you yet, Mr. Al-Din, for your touching gift."
There was plenty of humor in Tyler's voice that the man took the slight reprimand for granted and smiled in response. "I knew you were going to make the connection," he said with satisfaction. "Nathan talked very highly of you."
"I feel the same way about him," Tyler agreed.
He hesitated. "May I inquire about the delicate issue that brings you together?" Marwon's face was severe. "We have talked about the situation and restored our bond."

"It is now clear to all parties that the bond between Fleur and Jared cannot be broken. It was settled by the old Sheikh himself. His will is law," Sheikh Jabaar said resolutely.
There was a chill in Tyler's heart. It must have been visible on his face, as Princess Jasmine gave him a look full of sympathy. "Your family is blessed in the union of two wonderful people," he nodded. The lump in his throat wouldn't be swallowed. He felt his self-control weaken.
"If there were no further urgent matters, I would like to withdraw," he politely inquired.
"We'll meet tomorrow," Sheikh Jabaar replied.
Asking, he looked at Marwon.
"See you tomorrow," the man said.
Tyler got up. "Then I wish you a good night."

Outside the salon, he saw Nathan hidden. Frowning, he walked up to him. "I understand you're a bodyguard, but is the threat so great that you're even active here?" he asked directly.
Nathan crunched his teeth. "I'll do what's asked of me."
Tyler smiled sparingly. "Fine. If you don't want to say it, I'll ask him myself." Determined he walked away only to be grabbed after two passes.
"Stop," Nathan hissed.
Through squeezed blue eyes, he was taken in expectantly. "And?" asked Tyler.
"Fifty years of struggle don't slide out the door in a week. There are already changes noticeable, so give the man some time," Nathan said.
Something in his tone made Tyler frown. He looked at Nathan intently. "You're family, aren't you?"
Nathan stared at him. Tyler could see that he was fighting an inner struggle. That is why he appreciated Nathan's openness all the more when he replied: "He's my grandfather. My father had an extramarital relationship with my mother. Despite this shame, he still included me in his family." 
Tyler smiled warmly. "He is proud of his family. Strong genes," he said patting Nathan on his arm. "Good night, Nathan."