48. Even those who knew what was coming listened breathlessly.

Tarek woke Tyler up the next morning by shaking his shoulder. It took him a while to free himself from Jared's embrace and then slip out of bed.
"Grandfather wants to meet you for lunch. If you want to get there in time, you have to leave in half an hour."
Tyler was aggravated because his precious time with Jared was cut. On the other hand, it was thanks to Marwon that he had time at all.
"Nathan comes along as your security. Jareed and I are going to the office."
He placed a bag in Tyler's hands. "I was so free yesterday to take the bag you packed with me."
"Thank you, Tarek. For everything," Tyler stressed.

Jared was already standing next to the bed when Tyler got back in the bedroom. The traces of their love play were visible on his bronzed skin.
"I marked you," said Tyler, who let his fingers slide over the spots. He offered his mouth and was rewarded with a torrid kiss. "I have to leave in half an hour," he said, groaning to Jared's lips.
Jared pulled him rough to the bathroom where they spent twenty minutes in passion. Just in time, they stepped into the living room.

"Here" Tarek told him pushing him to the car. "An apple and some drinks for the road."
Jared was standing in the doorway looking at them. Tarek closed the door and Nathan started the car.
Looking in the side mirror, Tyler was dazzled by the heartbreaking beauty of Jared who stared at him with a gentle smile. A sudden wave of love and grief engulfed Tyler. He loosened his seat belt, opened the door of the car that was already moving, so Nathan had to step on the brakes and ran to a bewildered Jared who opened his arms to catch him.
"Whatever happens, remember this: Eu te amo..  Meu corpo alma e coracao perencena voce para sempre. (I love you. My heart, body and soul belong to you forever.)
They shared a kiss that reflected the love and despair Tyler felt. Tears slipped down his cheeks as he finally pushed himself away from Jared, walked to the car and got in.

Nathan drove right away. In the rearview mirror, he saw Jared staring at them. Whatever Tyler said, it had arrived hard. And Tyler himself? He'd never seen the boy so miserable.
"What did you say to him?"
"Farewell."
Shocked by this answer and the implications behind this drastic and irrevocable action, they did not exchange a word for the rest of the journey.

The tears had stopped ten minutes ago, and with admiration, Nathan watched Tyler re-capture himself. By the time they reached the restaurant, there was a determination in Tyler's eyes that Nathan recognized. Whoever he had to take on would have to deal with a formidable opponent.
"You can drop me off here," Tyler said.
"I'm not going in with you?" he quickly picked up.
"I want to thank you for your training, Nathan," Tyler said. "Keep our men safe." He apprehensively raised his head to look at Nathan clutching his hands around the steering wheel and observing him closely with tight jaws. 
"Fare thee well, Tyler," was his hoarse farewell greeting.
They hugged each other briefly.
A security guard opened his door and he got out.
Nathan drove off and Tyler physically felt something clicking away. It was as if another piece of the puzzle had fallen into place. Although painful, he thought he had made the right choice.

Looking around the restaurant he saw people enjoying their beautiful looking lunches. He was led to a table where Marwon and Jawdat were already sitting joined by two other men. They were both Western-clad. All got up when he got to their table. Embarrassed, Tyler gestured them to sit down and he came to the rescue of the clearly in pain, Marwon.
"You know you don't have to stand up for me, Mr. Al-Din. Don't be so cocky and remember that," he addressed the man in a caring tone.
"Yes, yes," Marwon waved away his objections.

Jawdat introduced the other attendees who each gave him a hand. "Tyler, these are Nagijb Al-Fez and Nahir Mahfouz."
"Mr. Al-Fez is the judge who put the papers in order, and Mr. Mahfouz is the representative of the Mahfouz family and serves as a witness in this conversation." "Ah," Tyler sighed. "As always, Jawdat your chilly tone is a comfort to me."
Despite himself, a minute smile broke through on Jawdat's stern face.
"We can talk freely here."
Tyler looked at the judge inquisitively.
"The attendees here are not bothered by our discussion. Don't worry, Mr. Reed."
The older man took him in. "I didn't think I'd ever see a bearer of the eye. It's a special experience. And if I may believe Mr. Al-Din, a special young man."