43. Never leave you protégé.

Tarek woke him up the next morning with a phone call. 
"Nathan wants to know if you want to train today?" 
"Is he around you?" 
"Yes."  
"Let me speak to him."
"I want to train," he said as soon as Nathan got on the line. "But with another approach." 
Nathan heard him. "That's manageable. You're leaving in half an hour," he abruptly hung up. 
Satisfied, Tyler put on his sports clothes, grabbed a bag with his regular duffel and ate his tasty breakfast. The only way to get through the next few weeks was to focus on the situation at hand. The rest... had to wait.

"So," Nathan told him wide-legged with his hands on his hips. "You want to learn how to protect someone else."
Tyler took in the strange environment that Nathan had led him in blindfolded. It looked like an abandoned office building. "There is an important event coming up that many high-ranking members of the family will be present at. In the current tense climate, a broadening of my training seems desirable."
Nathan frowned. "What could happen at the wedding?" The unspoken question was in the air. When Tyler was silent, his gaze changed. Nathan picked him up. "A bodyguard has pre-known targets that he protects," he said sharply.
Tyler wobbled back and forth on his feet. "My family is there and so many other people I care about," he said pleadingly.
"Do you expect violence?" asked Nathan earnestly.
"I can't elaborate on that," he said, shaking his head.
"Tyler, if you have any small suspicions, you have to tell me," Nathan said menacingly.
"As soon as I'm free to give you this information, I will," Tyler said diplomatically. Patiently, he waited for Nathan to process this. His expression clearly showed that he would put the situation to rest for now, but that he would not just let it go. 'No, of course not,' Tyler thought. 'After all, he was an Al-Din.'

"Well, tell me," Tyler said, looking around his surroundings. A sea of empty desks and workstations were visible through huge glass walls. "What did you have in mind?"
Nathan raised his hand to a security guard and a door opened. "Your client," he said.
Jared came into the big space with a disgruntled gaze. The defenses on Tyler's face didn't seem to improve his mood. The boy looked at Nathan in dismay.
"This is not what I meant."
"Why not?" said Nathan, puzzled. "Prince Jareed is a possible target and he was willing to cooperate."
Tyler's heated brain was looking for reasons. "I could make a mistake that hurt him," he suggested.
Nathan shook his head. "We're not going to practice with sharp objects or weapons."

Meanwhile, Jared had arrived with them. Disgruntled, he looked at the interaction between the two men. "I anyone going to ask my opinion?"
"No!" was the direct answer from two throats.
"Good, if that is the way you want it," Nathan said after Tyler stared at him. "But now that you've had your way in this, I don't want to hear any more protests, okay?"
"Yes," Tyler nodded eagerly. Triumphantly, he looked at Jared, who took him in sweltering. What? Why the look?
Nathan looked content.
"Uh oh," escaped from Tyler's throat. "You set me up, didn't you?" he said incredulously to Nathan. This one shrugged. "I've been your sparring partner for a while now. It's good to see how you do against another experienced opponent."
"You knew about this?" Tyler looked accusing at Jared.
"No, but like Nathan, I'm curious about your progress." Jared turned to Nathan. "Where can I change?"
Nathan pointed to the left where there was a remote niche.

As soon as Jared was out of sight, Tyler pricked a finger under Nathan's nose. "I don't like being manipulated."
"Sorry about the ruse, but I seriously want to see you with another opponent. Jared is an experienced and solid fighter." Nathan gestured to Jared who just walked up.
Tyler had to make an effort to keep his mouth shut and swallowed audibly. Jared had put his shirt under his chin so he could tie the strings of his sweatpants. The muscular body for him now dressed in tight sportswear was mouth-wateringly tasty.
"Damn if it's not true," Nathan estimated. "I think the young tiger sees something he likes."
Caught, Tyler looked at him with an angry blush. "Come on," he said sullenly. "Even you have to admit he's beautiful!"
"Hm," Nathan said affably. "He's passable."
"Quit it, both of you!" cried Jared angrily. "You," he pointed to Tyler. "Behave."
"And you," he said with a scathing look at Nathan. "Don't be a wise ass. There is no need to encourage that boy in his behavior."