57. "Soap opera."

Tyler opened his eyes with difficulty. The light was sharp and felt like pinpricks.
"Did we win?" was the first thing he asked.
The four figures around him laughed with relief.
"Looks like everything's fine," the doctor said. "It won't be more than a headache and some bruises."
"Thank you doctor," Nathan said, and he paid the man cash.

"What did I hit?" Tyler tried to get up, but Jared gently pushed him back.
"Stay down for a while. You just got to," he said worriedly.
"You tripped and fell against a wall," Nathan said guilty. "I hunted you too hard."
Tyler pressed his forehead with one hand. "No. That's not how it went. I heard a sound from the right, tripped and fell." His eyes slid to Nathan. "You were on the left behind me."
BJ and Jared looked at Nathan, who nodded. "Exactly right."
"I'm sure I hit something." He grabbed Jared's sleeve. "Something that moved." "BJ and I are going to check it out, okay?" said Jared.
Ten minutes later, Tyler sat up and felt much better. BJ and Jared weren't back yet, and together with Nathan, he went out to investigate.

In the front hall a crowd had gathered watching BJ and Jared who were busy placing a splint around the hind leg of a small dog.
The manager saw them and met them.
"My deepest apologies, Monsieur Reed. My daughter's dog had escaped from his kennel and ended up in the main hall."
"Is everything okay?" asked Tyler, startled.
"The poor little critter has broken his paw. Apart from the scare, everything else seems ok."
"He's in good hands with Dr. Evans," Tyler said, patting the manager on the arm.

Tyler walked on with Nathan. Suddenly he turned to him.
"You didn't answer my question?" he said, sighing deeply immediately afterwards. "Can I at least hope for a draw?"
Nathan grinned at him. "I've seen you in action. I think it would be nice to have a duel with you."
Tyler gloated. 'For a man of Nathan's caliber, this invitation was a sign of praise. But when would this happen? Besides Jared, would he have to give up all the other contacts?'

Pain flashed over his face. BJ looked up and caught his gaze. Within 30 seconds, the muscled man was next to him. Nathan took in BJ's protective stance frowning.
"Do you want to sit down?" BJ grumbled softly.
"No, thank you. That won't be necessary," he said shyly.
"What did I just miss?" asked Nathan from BJ looking at Tyler.
Tyler paused contemplating the situation. "Saying one thing is saying everything" he cryptically said to a blinking Nathan.
BJ took him in calmly.
"You're holding a lot in your hands," Nathan said hoarse.
BJ nodded.

They walked a little further to a remote corner. The moment they were out of sight, Tyler crawled into Nathan's arms and squeezed them pretty much into one being.
"What is this?" Nathan said, surprised at the sad look in Tyler's eyes.
"You and Tarek are so dear to me. I don't want to lose your friendship."
BJ shielded them with his wide back from unwanted onlookers. The man sighed.
"Is everyone you know gay?"
Involuntarily smiling, Tyler turned around. "I'd better watch out if I were you. Nathan and I used to like women." Both grinned broadly.
A deep pleasant smile sounded from a wide chest. "Thank you for the warning, but I'm not worried about that at all."

His eyes glistened and then returned to his usual expression.
"Any aftereffects?" he inquired.
Tyler shook no.
"I'm sorry my weakness is causing you so many headaches."
BJ looked at Nathan with a rapport. This one nodded.
"You call it a weakness," Nathan said. "But it's not."
"You are able to physically manifest an emotional shock, process it and continue on," BJ said. "It's a great mechanism to prevent trauma."
Nathan nodded. "And damn hard to learn."
Both men pated Tyler on his shoulders, who shyly blushing looked up at them.
"I've never looked at it like that," he said honestly.

Behind them, applause was heard when Jared handed the dog over to the manager. They exchanged a few words before Jared walked up to them.
Black eyes read the body language of the three men who were close together and had physical contact.
Tyler braved his piercing gaze and unknowingly raised his chin. The fire that ignited in Jared's eyes and the palpable shiver that this triggered in Tyler's body raised BJs' eyebrows. He looked over Tyler's head at Nathan, who shrugged his shoulders with a little smile.
"Hm," grumbled the man. "Soap opera."
"I don't want to go back yet," Tyler said responding to Jared's unspoken order.
"You need to rest or you'll get a headache," Jared said sternly.
Sulking, he leaned against Nathan, which again elicited an angry look from Jared.