17. (Un)Pleasant memories.

The next day, after a thorough inspection of the doctor, he was discharged from the hospital. His mother took him home. There were a ton of messages on his phone, including some from Lindsey. Since he had nothing else to do, he took extensive time to answer them. Three to four weeks of rest, the doctor had told him. His fingers might need physio and his ribs were just a matter of time. He would ask for appropriate work. There had to be something he could do, right?

His mother seemed to realize that the prospect of having to sit at home for an extended period of time made her son depressed. "Can I do something for you?" she asked willingly to support him in his cause.

"Thank you, Mom," he said gratefully. "But this is something I have to take care of myself." He called the practice where Regan answered the phone.
"Jared walks around with a face like a thunderstorm, Tyler. They had to put that dog to sleep last night."
"Would you please ask him to call me?"
"I will, Tyler. We're all so proud of you here. Bye."

From the hospital, he was given painkillers that made him sleepy. After dinner, his mother helped him go to bed. Despite the pills, he grimaced heavily.
"Poor darling," his mother said. "Rest."
Slowly he slipped into a restless sleep.

When he opened his eyes, he was pleasantly surprised. Jared sat in a chair next to his bed. In an uncomfortable position, he was asleep. Tyler was as quiet as possible so he wouldn't wake him up. Upon hearing footsteps on the stairs, he closed his eyes and then opened them again. Jared had woken up and stretched unwittingly pleasing his eager spectator.

"Did you fall asleep?" Tyler asked innocently.
Jared, who was still stretching, nodded. "I haven't seen my bed yet."
"Oh, Jared," said Marion, who overheard him. "You must be absolutely exhausted."
"Yes, something like that," he confessed sheepishly, laughing. "You're my last stop before I look up my bed," he told Tyler. "I just filed a report at the police station, and another officer is coming over to record your testimony." He paused and shook his head as if bad thoughts were dispelled. "I heard from Regan that you wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes," Tyler said. "I know I can't work full time, but I hope you can find something adapted for me." He saw the resistance on Jared's face. "No, Jared. I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs for three to four weeks."
Marion looked silently at the interaction between her son and Jared and smiled.
"I will consult with your doctor and a physiotherapist. Based on their story, I'll consider your request. That's all I can do."
"All you're willing to do, you mean," Tyler muttered with discontent.

"You're such a doofus!" parried Jared. "Everybody wants you back, but you have to heal properly, Tyler. Otherwise, I'd never forgive myself, and neither will Brenda. She already feels so guilty."
"Yeah, yeah, all right," Tyler admitted sulking, quietly enjoying the caring tone of Jared's words. Jared got up and just wanted to get past Marion when Tyler said, "And Jared? Next time you come on a sick visit, I expect flowers!"
The surprise was clearly readable on Jared's face. Then the smile broke through. "Cheeky flail!"
Tyler heard him chuckling down the stairs.

The police officer who came by to record his testimony praised his detailed description of the event. "Also keeping him calm and recording his data was very good." His eyes slid to the painful-looking bruising on Tyler's throat. "Drew Smiley faces a severe sentence. This is not his first offense, and we're taking all the previous offenses into account. Thank you for your cooperation."

His mother let the officer out and came back with a pale face. From the kitchen table, she followed the whole story. "My son, the hero," she whispered with tears in her eyes. She slumped next to him on the couch and leaned her head against his shoulder. That's how they stayed until the doorbell rang. Marion came back into the living room hidden behind a beautiful bouquet of flowers.