35. The odd one out.

The next morning, Tyler was grateful to be able to work with Adam after a quick breakfast. But even after an hour of hard training, he was still worked up. The trainer hit him on the shoulder.
"I have another appointment after this, but if you want you can come. Nathan Caulfield is an ex-Marine who trains with me when he's in Paris. He would be a good sparring partner for you," he offered.
Tyler raised eyebrows. "Isn't that a little too advanced for me?"
Adam observed him for a while. "You don't have to hold back."
"Okay," he said sniffing. "I could use some discharge."
Without mentioning anything to Jared and receiving no hint of protest from Rasheed who observed them quietly, they left.

Tyler looked surprised at the apartment complex where the car stopped. "No gym?"
"No," Adam shook. "You will see that this way of training is different from what we do."
They knocked on the door of an apartment and Nathan Caulfield opened. The Marine was tall, in his thirties and beautifully built. Long muscles were visible under his tight shirt and he wore his jeans as if made especially for him. "You must be Tyler." He reached out his hand.
"Thank you for letting me tag along," Tyler said walking around the living room. "Should we help put things aside?" he asked, looking around.
"No," Nathan shook. "The aim is to create as real a scenario as possible. Being aware of your environment is extra important." "For you, all this is new. That makes you unpredictable and rough. It's great for me to practice with." He laughed carefree. "So, Tyler. Don't hold back."

Tyler's head was working overtime. He did his best to attack Nathan, but needed his attention not to fall over the living room's furniture. It required an adaptation that was stimulated by the taunting smile of Nathan who danced constantly out of his reach. Mentally, he made a layout of the living room. Right kitchen, left balcony. At his feet a sofa, at his knee a coffee table. It was like he was taking a picture.

Another attack resulted in a hold that Nathan had to wrestle himself out of. Triumphantly, Tyler returned to his starting point. 
"Shit, Adam. This kid picks it up quickly," Nathan said grinning.
"This is nothing, wait and see," Adam grinned back.

Tyler now knew where things were and scanned for individual materials he could use. A rolled-up newspaper would be a handy weapon. He smiled. The side table wasn't on a rug. A kick and Nathan's tibia would be chafed. His head flashed to the right. The kitchen. A huge source for an attacker.

His attack came suddenly. He made a feint, kicked the side table towards his shin, grabbed the newspaper and started slapping Nathan. Tyler marveled at his ability to concentrate. He recorded the defensive tackles Nathan applied to fend him off. Even without looking, Tyler knew where to place his feet to put more pressure. Together they rolled across the ground. This is where Nathan had a big advantage. Soon he had to surrender. Nathan patted him on the shoulder appreciatively.

Tyler shook his head sporting a condescending smile. "Do you know what the downside is of making someone aware of their surroundings?" He quickly fell out to Nathan, who couldn't react quickly enough to get Tyler to hold him tightly. "This is Jared's doing it. The smell of his cigarettes lingers in the cushions," he hissed. Then he let go because he knew Nathan could easily overpower him.
"Why this performance? If you want to change the content of my training, you just do, Adam," he said straight into the man's face.

Adam shrugged. "Jared," he began.
Tyler interrupted him. "Jared!" he spat out. "That man still seems to think I'm a silly idiot who's not able to stand up for himself." His face was tight. He was unaware of the authority he exuded. "Tell me the truth. What's your job?" he asked Nathan.
"I'm here to train you."
Not satisfied with the short answer, Tyler shook his head. "Let's rephrase the question," Tyler said as he slowly moved through space. "Who do you work for?"

The men fell silent after a look of understanding. Tyler sighed. In a flash, he thought back to meeting a man as stubborn as Jared. "Let me guess." He looked at Nathan sternly. "Marwon Al-Din." His mouth stood disapproving.
Nathan nodded to him admiringly. "The old man said you were sharp."
"Yes, yes," Tyler said roughly to hide his pleasure. "If I want this to continue, will it happen?"
"It depends entirely on you" Nathan told him, observing him closely.
"Beautiful," Tyler nodded. Adrenaline shot through his body. "Adam? You're in my line of sight. That's distracting."
"Okay," the man said approvingly, changing places.
Nathan rubbed his hands. "I hope you've been paying attention, Tyler. Because now we're turning the tables."
Tyler grinned broadly. "Bring it on."