41. Where do I belong?

The atmosphere at dinner was made carefree. Mainly to reassure Marion and Naomi. At no point was the subject discussed. Nevertheless, the worrisome looks of Aisha and his mother were a clear sign that they realized how serious the situation was.
Tyler tasted little of the food he ate. Even though he moved it in at speed and had filled his plate twice.
"Hungry?" asked Tarek, who sat next to him with raised eyebrows.
Tyler shook his head. "I feel so empty inside." Disgusted, he shoved his plate off.

"If you want, we can get your partner here?" said Tarek softly.
Tyler laughed. "And then what? We wouldn't be able to touch each other."
The man bowed to him. "You would need grandfather's permission."
There was a shiver through Tyler's body. He should consult with Jared first.
"I'll ask him," said Tarek, who stood up.
"Tarek," Tyler hissed in dismay. He reached for the man's arm, but he couldn't find a grip. "Tarek," he shouted a little louder.
He had almost reached Marwon, who looked at his grandson asking. Many eyes caught him when Tyler stood up. "Tarek, no!" it sounded with authority.
Eyes flashed between Tyler and Tarek and lingered curiously on Tyler. His clear commandment did not have the nasty taste of reproach. It was only meant as a halt. Tarek looked at him nodding. 
"Is there anything, Tyler?" asked Marwon.
"No, Mr. Al-Din. Nothing that can't wait. Thank you," he said diplomatically, and sat down again.

Tarek took a seat next to him with a happy smile. With investigative suspicion, Tyler looked at the man. Why did he get the uncomfortable feeling that he was being manipulated? He bowed to Tarek. "What did you want to achieve with that stunt?" he said with a smile so as not to alert the neighbors.
"Confirming a suspicion," he said simply.
Tyler swallowed hard. "And what would that be?"
Tarek looked right at him. "That you must consult with your lover before you can ask grandfather." Tarek grinned. "How am I doing?"
"No comment," Tyler said wryly.
Tarek laughed at him casually. "Then I won't show you my list of candidates?"
"Plural?" responded Tyler amused. With his right hand under his head, he leaned conspiratorially towards Tarek. Suggestively, he raised his eyebrows. "Tell me." Tarek blushed under Tyler's interest. "You have to understand that we looked at your background thoroughly before we met you," Tarek said apologetically.
  "No problem." Tyler shrugged. "Tell me," he asked eagerly.

"Eric, Dylan, Henry, Thiago and Nathan", Tarek summed up.
Tyler raised his eyebrows. "Nathan?"
"In Paris, he said he would protect you with his life."
Tyler smiled appreciatively. "I remember that moment. Was that what he said?" He frowned. "I don't think Nathan likes men. You can take him off your list as far as I'm concerned," he said amused. With a sudden incoming thought, his expression changed to serious. "I hope that no more information is collected now."
"No," Tarek shook. "And you're so candid that it's not necessary." His mouth left in a small smile.  "Can I conclude from this diversion that he is on my list?"
Tyler picked him up, looked into his eyes until he was in real contact, let his tongue slide over his lips and said: "I don't gossip about the men I kissed."
Smiling at the hot blush that appeared on Tarek's cheeks, he turned up and looked straight out. The smile melted from his lips at the expression on Jared's face.

Tyler sighed annoyed. "I don't think Dr. Evans thinks we're so amusing. He probably suspects me of moral levity. What do you think Tarek? Is he right?" Defiantly, Tyler looked into Jared's black eyes. He enjoyed the fire burning in it. It warmed him up.
Tarek looked incredulous from the furious Jared to the grinning Tyler. That boy really had blatant disrespect for authority. The admiration Tarek couldn't keep out of his gaze only made Jared angrier.
  Tyler's grin widened. "Don't worry, Tarek. This is pretty much part of our daily routine in practice."
He froze. His expression fell so quickly that Tarek put an arm around him to support him. A tsunami of grief engulfed him. The realization that his life no longer existed as it was hit him like a sledgehammer. His access to Jared, his collaboration with Jared, was all gone!