42. The answer he never wanted to hear.

Tyler cringed at the slight reverberation in the large empty space.

"No," said Nathan, who jumped off the floor athletically and gallantly reached out to help him up.
"I'm here to get Tyler for lunch. I hope you deliver him unscathed this time." The venom clearly resonated.
Nathan turned to Tyler, turning his back on Jared. "I've learned again that I shouldn't underestimate you. I'll see you tomorrow." With an affable nod towards Jared, he left.
Armed security remained, which made Tyler seriously suspect that he was now in possession of his own entourage. And thank you!

"Lunch?" Tyler asked an angry-looking Jared.
His dark eyes were fixed on the welts that lay around Tyler's wrists.
"It was part of the training," he said quietly. When rubbing the ridges, he couldn't suppress a grimace. The blood flowed back into his fingers, and it hurt.
Jared stood to watch him reproachily as he left his hands clenched in fists past his body.
"Lunch?" repeated Tyler. "Where are you taking me?"
Suddenly, a guard got out of his pose and walked towards them. In Arabic, he said something to Jared. He received the news. He nodded briefly to the man who immediately withdrew. Discontent radiated from him.
"I was going to take you to a restaurant, but Nathan ordered  to take you to a secure location," he said.
"Are you coming with me?" asked Tyler.
"Yes."
"Then I don't care where we're going," he said with gleaming eyes.

Jared grabbed Tyler by the elbow and escorted him to a waiting car. Two men in their car and two men in the car behind them. Their black clothes were in the back of the tailgate. Now they were less conspicuous, Western-clad. The cautious looks remained. Tyler couldn't imagine a life where this was common. He'd feel so trapped.
They stopped for the same hotel where Tyler had spent his first week. He greeted the staff and seemed surprised at the lack of sight that his impressive entourage triggered. Two men posted themselves on either side of their hotel door. Slightly embarrassed, Tyler stepped into the beautiful suite.
"If you order lunch, I'll take a shower," he said to Jared, audibly in front of the men standing in the hallway.

Like a hare, he shot to the bedroom, where he threw his bag on the bed and walked on to the bathroom. He turned on the shower and hurriedly undressed. Foaming shampoo and freshly scented shower gel made for a luxurious feel on his wet body. Carefully, he cleaned his body.
There was a towel around his hips as he walked into the bedroom and saw that everything was lying as he had left it. Even the bedroom door was still ajar. Frowning, he walked to the living room where he found Jared staring out through an open window.
"Can you stand in front of the window? Doesn't that make you too easy a target?" he asked almost seriously.

A knock on the door made Tyler look up. Jared hadn't moved.
"Room service," said the man with the trolley, so his announcement seemed strangely unnecessary.
Tyler could still see how the left guard checked the contents.
"Okay," was his brief judgment.
"Thank you," said Tyler, who took over the man's trolley and closed the door.
Approvingly, he let his hands slide along the bowls filled with treats and stuck a grape in his mouth. "This looks good," he said, enjoying himself.
Jared was still in his spot in front of the window. "Do you want to put on some clothes?" he said crudely.
"Can I get a kiss from you first?" countered Tyler.
Jared's square shoulders gave him his answer. Sighing, he walked up to him and put his arms around him. "Our time together is running out, Jared. I want to enjoy these moments as much as possible." Tyler put a kiss on his neck.

"Two and a half weeks," Jared said hoarse. "That's all that's left."
He let himself be turned around by an upset Tyler.
"They brought the wedding forward?"
"Yes. In two and a half weeks I will be married to Fleur."
The light disappeared from Tyler's eyes. In the blink of an eye, they were taken four months away. Not understanding he shook his head. "If we have so little time left, why don't you want to touch me?"
Tyler reached out to Jared by placing his hands on both sides of his face and looking him deep into his eyes. This one dodged his gaze and pushed him away.