38. Tyler stands his ground.

Who are the other family members?" Tyler asked Tarek as they sat in the car. "Two uncles and two aunts, with their partner and a couple of cousins," Tarek said as if it were nothing.
The company turned out to consist of a total of sixteen people, not counting Tyler and Tarek. He felt relieved when he saw that pretty much everyone was dressed casually. With his blonde hair and light skin, he stuck out enough in the sea of dark beauty.

"Tyler, what good to see you again!" Marwon received him warmly. "May I introduce you to my wife, Aisha."
"Mrs. Al-Din," he nodded to her politely.
She surprised him by sticking her hand out at him. "It is my real pleasure to meet the young man who has left such a deep impression on my husband." Her soft voice was almost without accent. Small in stature, but strong in character and appearance, the woman shook his hand.
"Thank you," he said sincerely. He bowed to her. "May I confess that this was also the case the other way around."
She smiled. "I heard about your comment complimenting the good genes in our family." She turned around and pointed to the table behind them.
Tyler followed her movement, looked at the group nodding and smiled at her. "Exactly what I said."

The descendants were all blessed with the good genes of the Al-Din family. He enjoyed the proud look in the eyes of Aisha and her husband.
"Come on, Tyler, I'll introduce you."
"My daughters; Zafira and Waliyah. My sons; Akil and Amir. My daughters-in-law; Waseemah and Sabiha. My sons-in-law: Aleser and Laith. My granddaughters; Nadra, Malika and Yusra. My grandsons; Arif, Khaldun and Jawdat.
He nodded in everyone kindly, but knew he would never be able to remember all those names.
Tarek who sat next to him saw his overwhelmed gaze. "Rest assured. No one expects you to remember all the names. If you want to speak to someone, ask me the name you want to know."

"Your parents aren't here?" asked Tyler.
"No. Dad is currently on a business trip and mother is with him."
Tyler frowned. "Isn't that unusual? I thought in Muslim families the woman was staying at home."
"Usually it is, but you will find that our family has its own interpretation of traditional. My parents always go on business together. When we were little, my sister and I used to go."
Tyler lowered his head. "I'm sorry I compared your family to a pack of hyenas. I see now that I was wrong about that," he said, embarrassed.
Tarek nodded. "Grandfather put his hand in his own bosom, severely lectured the ones responsible and then forgiven them. After the first understandable resistance, the changes he has made now come as welcome adjustments. It's like everyone's more relaxed."

Tyler was placed at the center of the rectangular table so that the family seemed folded around him. Everyone was looking him. The expressions ranged from curious and inquisitive to estimating and suspicious. It was the last one that made him turn to Tarek.
"Your uncle?", he pointed.
"Aleser," Tarek said.
"Why is your Uncle Aleser looking so suspicious?"
"His wife, Waliyah, is the first born of grandfather. You are an unexpected complication in an already fraught issue."
"What do they think I'll do?" Tyler asked curiously, ignoring the many ears that were listening.
Tarek was clearly uncomfortable with it and wobbled on his chair. "That information is not known to me," he said diplomatically.
Tyler laughed sparingly.

Nadra, who sat next to him, asked: "Are you curious about the family business?" Her face was kind.
Tyler turned to her and observed her briefly. "I have no doubt that it concerns far more than I can imagine now, but I'm very interested," he said with a heartfelt laugh.
She blinked for a moment and cleared her throat. "You're nineteen?" she asked. "Yes," Tyler nodded with a slow laugh.
"And gay?"
His slow smile widened. His blue eyes looked deep into her brown. "Yes."
"Hm. That's a shame," she said approvingly. "Because you're a catch."
"You're not so bad yourself. Any worshippers?" he asked freely.
Her blush came earlier than her answer.
"Good for you," he said softly.