32. Marwon Al-Din

At the breakfast table, where Tyler timidly joined under Jake's watchful eye, there was a pleasant atmosphere.
"Good morning, Jared. Good morning, Tyler," Jake said, emphasizing the final greeting. He looked at his son. "I hope you didn't undo all my hard work?"
Jared sat with his mouth full of teeth.
Tyler couldn't suppress his grin. "He was very attentive," he reassured Jake with a light blush. He was surprised how casually he felt in this environment. It was a free port to Jared where they even sat at the breakfast table constantly touched each other.
Miranda and Jake watched the scene with wide smiles. They exchanged a look of understanding. Not in years had they seen Jared so relaxed and happy.

"I have a lot of things to do before we leave," Tyler said when breakfast was finished. He tried to get up, but Jared stopped him.
"What's so urgent that you have to get away from me?" he asked in a possessive tone that made three pairs of eyes look at him in amazement.
Tyler laughed appreciatively. "Sometimes that ruler trait of yours is kind of sexy." His finger slid teasingly over Jared's disgruntled mouth. "I have to call Lucy to tell her I'm not coming. I have to call school and pack a bag."
Jared got up and pulled Tyler along. "You get an hour to get your business done. If you're not back, I'm coming to get you," he growled. The kiss he gave to seal the case made his mother swoon and his father actually blushed. Grinning, he pushed a slightly swaying Tyler out of the patio door.

The fresh outdoors cheered him on and with a broad grin he ran home through the garden. In rapid succession, he finished his chores. He packed his bag carefully and put the medallion in a side compartment next to his passport.

The doorbell rang and he ran down the stairs with the bag in his hand.
"You're ten minutes early," he said, laughing.
There stood the man he recognized as Marwon Al-Din, even though they had never met. An entourage of three men stood by the black car.
"You look just like the old Sheikh, Mr. Al-Din," Tyler said.
"I see that once again my reputation precedes me," the man responded slickly recording him.
Like the rest of the family, this man in his seventies was an example of beauty, intelligence and strength.
"Is there really no one in your family small, fat and bald?" Tyler spontaneously blurted out.

Black eyebrows were raised haughtily at the snigger that could be heard from the car.
"Tarek," barked Marwon.
"Yes, grandfather?"
"If you're able to behave, come here."
"Yes, grandfather."
Tarek, tall, dark and handsome, came walking towards them. Tyler saw the humor in his black eyes.
"Hello," Tyler greeted him.

"Can we come in?" asked Marwon.
"It depends on whether you can behave," Tyler said in a serious manner. "The little I've heard from you didn't speak in your favor. So before I invite you into my mother's house, I ask your word that you will be polite."
Dark eyes shot fire. The look he gave Tyler made it clear to him that this man was not used to a rebuttal. Unfazed, he waited for an answer.
A disgruntled and moping trait lay on the man's lips for a moment. Then he found his self-control and answered smoothly: "But of course, Tyler. I wouldn't insult your mother for the world."
Tyler smiled internally. Now he could be sure that his feelings would not be spared. Actually, he didn't expect anything different. He was curious about the reason for this visit.

Tyler made an inviting step back and let his guests in. The way Tarek looked around made it clear to him that he was protecting his grandfather.
"There's no one else in the house," he told Tarek. He looked at the older man candidly. "You lead a hard life if your grandson has to act as bodyguard," he said with sympathy.
Dark eyes picked him up but didn't say anything.
"Are you more comfortable on the couch or at the dining area?" asked Tyler. Answering the questioning look, he replied: "I noticed you walking with a stick. Our couch is quite low and that makes getting up difficult. If you have the ego of your cousins, it would hurt your pride," he simply remarked.