44. Tarek is mine!

The chilly look of Jawdat was exactly what he needed to return to reality. People's lives had to be saved. 
"Has she been notified yet?" Tyler asked Amir. 
"Yes, though she hasn't been told about the how and why." 
"She'll find out soon enough," Tyler said. 
Princess Jasmine might regret her decision to make him bearer of the eye, but he couldn't dwell on that now. By signing these papers, he gave her back everything she had given him. Including his fortune.

Despite the protests of Amir and Jawdat, he had been resolute in his decision.
"My education is paid for and there is no longer a mortgage on our house. Your family has been generous enough." He smiled at Jawdat. "Thank you for your help."
The man looked at him angrily. "I don't understand why you're so nice to someone who doesn't like you."
Behind his back, his father smiled.
Tyler looked at him warm. "You, Jawdat, are the ice-pack for my broken heart."
"What?" Asking, he looked at his father.
"Don't look at me," he said with his hands stuck in the air. "I said exactly the same thing."
Two pairs of dark eyes took the youngster in front of them thinkingly, timidly Tyler let them.

"Have all candidates for tomorrow's meeting been informed?" asked Tyler.
"Yes," Jawdat said. "But it's not certain if they'll all come."
Tyler shrugged. "We'll see."
Loudly audible his stomach growled.
Amir picked him up. "Come with us, Tyler. My granddaughter's birthday is today and there's a big party."
Terrified, he watched Amir from Jawdat. "I don't think that's a good idea, given the tense situation," Tyler countered.
"Nonsense," Amir said. "It is especially in conflict that it is important to celebrate. Take your mother and sister with you."
Amir patted his shoulder and sounded the case. "You ride with me," he said. "Then we'll pick up your mother and sister and eat there."
"What about the rest of the family?" asked Tyler cautiously.
"They're coming, of course."
"I don't have a present," he protested weakly.
"Don't worry, Tyler. She's getting enough. Relax. Tonight we celebrate."

In the car, Naomi asked all out about the party and the birthday girl.
"Her name is Zakia and she's going to be four years old today," Amir said.
"Clearly the tone of a proud grandfather," Marion laughed.
"I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the little bugger."
Immediately after arrival it became clear why Amir described her as rolling thunder.
"Grandpa, Grandpa," the four-year-old came screaming at them. "Thanks for the beautiful dollhouse." She raised her arms so he could lift her up and he received a big hug.

Marion was wearing a headscarf that covered her blonde hair. Naomi was pretty dark, but Tyler drew a lot of views with his sun-bleached blonde hair and blue eyes.
Timidly he let all the attention wash over him. He could tell by his audience when the two main gossips about him were told. The admiration when they heard the important position he held in their family and then the 'oh yes, he's gay'. The obvious sifting between revulsion and interest didn't bother him. What surprised him were the overt looks of men he was given. From curious to interested.

Akil came up to see him.
"Finally back from business?" asked Tyler, accepting the drink that Akil was handing him. He took a sip and choked. "There's alcohol in my drink," he said, shocked.
"St," Akil hushed him. "Not everyone needs to know that.
"But?" asked Tyler.
Akil cut him off. "I don't take it very closely with the rules, but I'm sure you'd have heard that."
Tyler, meanwhile, had found out that Akil was Nathan's father and still had a passionate relationship with his mother.
"Unconventional, sure," said Tyler, who couldn't suppress a laugh. "Too bad it's not contagious," he added wryly.
Akil observed him closely but wisely kept quiet. "I heard you're a feisty student."
"From whom?" asked Tyler curiously.
"From both Nathan and Amir. I even heard Jawdat say something positive about you tonight." A warm feeling filled him. "I can't thank all of you enough for the respect shown by the family."