1. An unfortunate encounter.

At more speed than seemed sensible, a pink children's bike maneuvered through the row of narrow bollards that separated the parking lot from the beach. The flagpole with flapping cat flag warned people about the incoming violence. The blonde boy didn't seem to care that a few pedestrians had to move their feet quickly to get out of the way. Just as it didn't seem to bother him that he was being met with benign ridicule and laughter by the same pedestrians.

Tyler Aaron Reed had a broad grin on his attractive face. The rolling beads and flapping fringes at the wheel of the Hello Kitty bike didn't diminish that in the least. His own ultra-modern citybike had been standing in the garage for more than a week with a flat tire. After working as his mother's personal slave for the last two days, he was glad he could escape the house for a while. He knew she'd expect him back soon, but it was too nice an afternoon to waste. The beach and the beautiful water beckoned to him.

Unconcerned, he drove to the beach guard station and got off. He stretched out his six feet body as he looked around for the lifeguard in service. "Lucas?"

"Yo, Tyler!", he heard a voice in the far cry out. His 19-year-old and sun-tanned friend enthusiastically greeted him with a solid handshake and a brief embrace. "I expected you a long time ago, man. Everyone asked about you."

"My mother is killing me. I don't start my work until next week and she saw her chance to get me to do every job there can be done." As proof of his suffering, Tyler put out his hands full of small scratches.

"Dude," it sounded full of compassion. "Say, why didn't you go to camp this year  like you always do? From all the stories I've heard of you, I'd think you'd like to be a camp leader again."

"Lindsey didn't go this year, so I decided to stay home so I can spend the summer with her."

"The mouthwatering Lindsey Magyar," Lucas sighed dramatically. "It's a good idea to keep her close to you. There are many suiters looking for an opportunity." With two steps at the same time, he climbed the stairs of the beach rangers station. Dude, this is really not cool," he said, glancing at the little pink bike standing in the corner of the door. "Haven't you fixed your flat tire yet?"

"I will, mother. As soon as I have time," Tyler muttered. "Can you look after Naomi's bike? I crave a fresh dip." Halfway through the sentence, he started walking backwards.

"Yes, fine," Lucas sighed.

Without any further hassle, Tyler jumped over the railing and deftly landed in the deep warm sand. He ran to the surf. Tyler enjoyed the sea. He floated on his back and felt how the sun heated him. For this moment, he let go of all thoughts.

Once back on the beach, he suddenly became aware of someone who called his name. From afar, he saw Lucas with a megaphone in his hand. With a finger, he tapped his wrist. A shock pulled through Tyler when he realized how much time he had wasted. His mother would skin him alive! Moaning, he saw his carefree summer with Lindsey slipping through his fingers.

If he wanted to run errands and be home for dinner, he'd have to postpone his hairdressing visit. Fortunately for him, the entrance to the supermarket was located at the end of the promenade diagonally opposite the beach. He quickly snatched the little pink bike from the hands of his disapproving looking friend. "Thank you, Lucas. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure! You know me. I don't like to miss a party." With shaking head he saw his friend racing away on the small bike.

Arriving at the grocery store, Tyler jumped off his bike. Searcing with his hands in his damp pockets, he walked into the store. Upon seeing the wet piece of paper he pulled out, he felt his heart sink. Argh! How could he have been so stupid? He had completely forgotten to get the shopping list out of his pockets before diving into the water. Carefully, he tried to unfold the wet paper. The blue pen strokes were mixed up. No matter how he tried, there was nothing readable to bring back. A heart-felt curse escaped his lips.