62. Betrayal.

Tyler's phone told him it was 6:30. Tarek had stretched their time to the limit.
"Will I see you at breakfast?" asked Jared, buttoning his shirt.
Tyler nodded. He sat on the bed and put on his socks. "After that, I have to write my speech."
"Speech?" Jared got in his pants.
Tyler just put on his belt and grabbed his shirt. "Yes, for the blessing."
Both fully dressed they faced each other in front of the door.
"I see you," Jared said, looking at him intensely.
He didn't touch him, and Tyler was grateful for that. He fought with every fiber of his being against the overwhelming desire to beg him to stay here. To throw all reasoning overboard and run off together.
Fingernails bit like crescents in the flesh of his palms.
"I see you," Tyler said, stroking his face with his eyes.
Jared left with Tarek. Tyler waited five minutes before he went to his room. Only the task in front of him kept him going.

Knowing that his mother would appreciate it, he showered and changed for breakfast.
That he looked better than Jake spoke volumes about the man's condition. Sitting at the main table, he raised his hand in a greeting, and Tyler returned the greeting. Marion patted him on the hand.
"If you want, we can fly back tonight," she told him observing him closely.
"Thank you, Mom," he said knowing full well that he'd be long gone by then.
Under his mother's all-seeing eye, he ate his breakfast; a sandwich and a cup of coffee.
"I have to get started," he said with a napkin wiping his mouth before kissing her cheek and getting up.

His conscience gnawed at him.
'How many people did he owe responsibility for his premature departure? His mother? Sure.
The heads of the family? Maybe. If he explained it to Princess Jasmine, it would be enough.'
Alone in his hotel room he struggled with his feelings.
'What else did he have to say? What else could he say?'

When the envelopes were sealed, he felt empty. He sent BJ and Jawdat a message, grabbed his bag and was ready to leave.
"Tyler?" was heard after a brief knock on the door.
Surprised, he opened the door for Gabriel Aroujo.
This one took in his bag and outfit frowning.
"Are you leaving?" he asked softly.
"How can I stay?" said Tyler pleading. "To be here is painful, but to see him get married would be unbearable." His voice broke.
Gabriel looked at the envelopes in his hand.
"I came to apologize for the indecent conduct of my son, Manu, yesterday."
"You left quite an impression on him and his cousins, Tyler."
Gabriel laughed sourly. "You have fended yourself well against the nasty sides of Jared's extended family. I'm sorry to see that we don't have more to offer you."
"Thank you, for everything," Tyler said, not wasting words.

Suddenly he changed his mind.
"Gabriel? Can I ask you something?" he asked hesitantly.
He handed him an envelope.
"This is my speech for the blessing."
Green eyes encumbered him, and he knew what Tyler was asking him to do.
"Is it okay if I read it?"
Tyler bowed his head and nodded.
Gabriel read silently, cleared his throat and agreed nodding.
His head suddenly turned to the right.
"Those are the people you were waiting for, I guess."
Gabriel tapped his hand with the envelope and hesitated. Tyler broke the deadlock by putting an arm around him. The man pressed him against him with two hands.
"I wish you all the best, Tyler," he said as a farewell.
Gabriel Aroujo nodded at BJ and Jawdat as he walked past them.

Jawdat came straight to the point after Tyler closed the door.
"This is your new account and credit card. Please sign here."
Tyler signed and handed over his old card.
"Here's your ticket and there's a car waiting for you."
Silently, Tyler took everything and put it in his bag.
"These are for you," he handed over the envelopes to Jawdat.
"I asked Jared's Uncle Gabriel if he would read my speech for the blessing."
Jawdat nodded to him gratefully. "Glad I don't have to do it."
"I'm sorry for asking you to lie for me, Jawdat," Tyler said earnestly.
"I will say you're unwell. Not one word of that is a lie," he said.
Jawdat looked at his watch. "Go down the stairwell through the kitchen to the back. Then you won't meet the guests for lunch."
It was five past twelve when car containing Tyler and BJ drove away from the hotel. In the garden behind the hotel he saw how they were taking pictures of the guests and members of the wedding party. He stretched out hoping to catch a glimpse of Jared, but there wasn't any.
This was the last act. All strength flowed from his body, and darkness washed over him.