56. "Why had Fleur done this?"

Sitting at the breakfast table, he received two messages. One of Eric's and one from Bahir. Both read: "Thank you!"
He shared this with his table mates, who were busy talking.
It was now Tuesday and tonight the whole company was going to travel to Brazil. Fleur's parents would travel with them, too.
Tyler saw his chance to say goodbye to Sheikh Jabaar drilled through his nose by Rasheed who told him that several tests needed to be done that would take place all day.
Since his only task for the day was to pick up the rings, he decided to do that first.

BJ waited in the car with Jared. Tyler had asked BJ why it was necessary for Nathan and Jared to come along. The man said he and Nathan had come up with something fun. Or so he was led to believe. When asked further, neither man would comment.
Nathan walked into the jewelry store with Tyler.
"Fleur said they have a nice collection here. I'm thinking about buying a ring for Tarek."
"That's a big step," Tyler said, curiously recording him.
"Yes," Nathan confessed sheepishly. "I can't deny that the situation you're in scares me. I think I'm looking for ways to tie him to me. Something tangible." He leaned over the display cases.
Tyler looked over his right shoulder. Irresistibly attracted, he walked to the display case where his choice for Jared lay. As perfect as in his memory.

A helpful salesman recognized the longing gaze in his eyes and asked: "Would you like to try it on?"
With skillful movements, the ring was on Tyler's left hand before he realized it. The narrow white gold band looked like it was made for him. Tyler couldn't keep his eyes off it.
"That's a beautiful ring," Nathan told him, approvingly.
Caught, Tyler ripped it off and placed it on the counter.
"I'm here to pick up Fleur Al-Din's order," he told the friendly-looking salesman. "A moment, please," the man said, disappearing backwards.
Nathan picked up the ring. "Is this what Fleur picked out?"
"No," Tyler said blushingly.
With renewed interest, Nathan looked at the collection. "For Jared I was thinking more about something like that." He pointed to the brushed steel ring.
"Ah," Tyler responded faintly. 'Did it mean anything that Fleur and Nathan chose the same ring for Jared?'

The seller came back with the rings. 
"Is the groom available for one last fitting?" the man asked carefully looking at the order form.
"If necessary. Why?" asked Tyler.
"We've had problems with the computer system over the past few weeks. It's just to make sure the ring fits?" the man said apologetically.
"I'll get him," Nathan said.
"Can I offer you this ring at a discount for the inconvenience you suffered?" the seller said looking at Tyler.
On a whim, he put his credit card on the counter. "Be quick," was all he said.
An assistant was sent back to get a replacement copy. This one was just handed over when Nathan stepped in with Jared. The ring was safely tucked away in his pocket.

The box with the rings was placed on the counter.
"If you don't want to see it, you close your eyes," Tyler said.
Demanding, Jared raised his left hand to Tyler. Painfully swallowing, he looked from the empty ring finger to the box. Cold fingers plucked at the lock.
There lay a narrow white gold band, identical to the one in his pocket.
Nathan's eyes grew a little bigger and he was about to make a remark, but a look from Tyler stopped him.
He removed the ring from the box, grabbed Jared's left hand and looked him in the eye.
Outwardly calm and with a soft smile he said: "With this ring, I thee wed", and slid the ring on Jared's ring finger.
The ring fit perfectly and contrasted beautifully against his bronzed skin.
"Perfect," Tyler said slightly hoarse looking from the ring to Jared.
"Exactly what I would have picked myself," Jared told Nathan, who wisely kept his mouth shut.
"Is the inscription correct?" the man asked.
Jared removed the ring and gave it to Tyler.
'Forever Yours.'
Unable to speak he nodded.
Tyler sat quietly next to BJ in the car. Still not quite out of the scare his head was spinning with the question: "Why had Fleur done this? Had she simply changed her mind and liked both his suggestions more or...?'