chapter 61

At first light he was back on the road, Kelvin looked down northeast in the direction the squad had gone. He motioned to walk in that path when he caught the red pigment in the skies above catacombs again, leaving him torn between going in search of his father, or going after the others, especially Edda, the thoughts of whom his mind refused to let go of.
He then decided to make a quick comb around the comb and return east to catch up with the others before they crossed the sea. He hung the sheath of his sword over his back, and transformed, for greater speed.

He had been running for hours through the woods, noticing burned down villages, castles and cities, but refused to go in to investigate since he didn't have much time. He continued on tirelessly, and enjoying every feel of it. He raced on faster than he had ever gone in his life, then he began to pick up another sound of a pair of paws beating against the snow. He looked around him, but saw nothing so he continued on.

Before long, he heard the breaking of snow again, and before he could turn, a huge white dire wolf bashed him in to a tree just up ahead. Enraged he got up and turned to the wolf, only to realize it was Dru, holding his pack, by the mouth.
The wolf wagged it's tail a couple of times before coming closer. It trotted closer till their foreheads connected.
"I know... I missed you too" Kelvin whispered
It then began licking him all over, causing him to chuckle.

Kelvin helped himself with some a leather jacket, and gloves, to shield himself from the cold, while he and Dru had dried provisions for dinner.
There where he sat alone under the tree he couldnt stop thinking about the welfare of the squad, Edda inquired particular had him worried, he hoped she was okay though.
Thoughts of them encountering the dead walkers plagued his mind, but he kept praying within him that nothing of the sort happened, although he knew the possibility was extremely high.

Since he had no one to talk to, he found solace in remembering his best memories, but nothing seemed to warm him more than she look in her eyes when she looked at him, he remembered the day she had hit him hard in the chest for almost dying in the fight against Levi, and laughed, but It sounded gasp in the night cold, waking Dru up.
The wolf looked up at him for a bit, then barked at him.
"What? " he inquired , but the wolf barked at him again in response.
"I have no idea what it is you're saying man" he replied
"sleep" the words came to him from his subconscious.
He turned to look at the wolf staring him in the eye.
The word came again, causing him to tilt his head to the side.

"did you just..." Kelvin asked, but Dru only blinked in response.
"of course I must be foolish to think a dumb animal like you could talk" Kelvin said adjusting his position.
"did you just call me dumb" the voice came again, but this time with a growl from Dru simultaneously.
Kelvin didn't want to believe he could hear the wolf's thoughts, he wanted more proof
"what are you gonna do about it" he replied aloud.
"oh dear" the wolf replied, this time biting his foot.

"Okay...okay" I can hear you...
" wait, if I can hear you, does that mean..."
"yeah I can hear your thoughts, and it's really annoying " Dru cut in
"now keep it down... I need some sleep" Dru said, laying down again.
"and for the record, you shouldn't have left your girl like that it was a total oaf move"
"but it wasn't my fault... " Kelvin tried to explain
"don't wanna hear it... Just let me get some sleep " Dru concluded with a snort.
Kelvin then looked up to the skies above, remorseful concerning what Dru had told him, unconsciously fueling his yearning to see her again.

The next morning, they examined the path that lead to the catacombs from the edge of a cliff, before running off.
They raced normally at first, until Kelvin slowly began to notice the competition in Dru's thoughts. Deciding he wasn't going to be on the receiving end of Dru's rant about his victory later, he picked up the pace too.