Chapter 19: Try Again

Ava~

  I stayed up alone at the bow, starring at the waters in the moonless night, i couldn't see much, but i liked it, as it helped me think better. It was, after all the most deserted part of the ship.

The images of events of the previous days just kept rocking my head, far more than even the consistent flashes of home. I couldn't talk to anyone, not to Edda, not to the other girls, not even Rava who holds my secret, i didn't blame him for not talking me, i would have done the same, but it wasn't my fault,  Mia was getting better, and it had been a week since i last did the spell. Every time i did it on Kelvin,  i would get knocked out of my wits,  each one harder than the previous.

    I wanted to find out why this was happening,  but none of my books had any thing on such situations. And i expected no less. I hadn't heard of such a case as this, and i couldn't go to examine him like i used to, the room was always flooded with people since Mia woke up, my cover would easily be blown.

Magic was a forbidden practice throughout Vrohengard,  but the king kept a master sorcerer as his physician and adviser. Raul, one of whose apprentices i am, appealed to the king to send a mage after the recon squad, which he agreed to, considering the dangers ahead.

This was fate, destiny, my Destiny, the prophesy said

   twelve shall leave, twelve shall cross the  sea.... "

And we're, thirteen i thought with a sigh, i never really understood prophecy through my training it was never precise. Perhaps Kelvin must die to make the twelve, and me trying to heal him was an obstruction of prophecy which is as known to us, extremely dangerous. You could be the sacrifice to it's fulfillment. I knew i had to thread cautiously,  but Rava won't understand.

“isn't it a bit too cold to be out here alone? " My heart leapt when the deep gruff voice reached me. I spun around, and steadied my self not to trip over the barriers. His form was unclear in the night darkness, till he walked a bit forward to the side of the lamps, my breathing returned to normal, when i saw the figure transform into a familiar face.

Captain Levi walked up to me and leaned his towering stature over the barriers, just beside me. I didn't speak first, as the custom at home was. The silence lengthened between us, i waited humbly and patiently for him to speak, which he eventually did.

“why are you here, all by yourself? " he asked turning to me. A lump formed up in my throat as i watched the light glint off the shiny metal of the emblem of the sheathed sword at his side. It had hardly gone down when i began to answer. I explained to him how this helped me think, trying to be as practical as possible.

“you're worried about him too? " he asked looking back at the waters. I didn't know how to reply, not wanting to offend him, noting how obvious it was that he didn't like him. I held my peace, still pondering on what answer to give him for a few minutes, and still came up with nothing, but it didn't seem to bother him.

“you all don't seem to realize that we are all in this situation because of him." he began. “we shouldn't have helped those merchants in the first place."  he said angrily, hitting his hand on the barrier. I flinched at the sound,  then retreated to my normal position, this time looking down at the floor board with a guilt that didn't seem to be mine to bare.

He was right, we shouldn't have, and we are in this situation because somebody wanted to bend the rules and play hero, perhaps that's why Kelvin deserves to be cut off from the team, i pondered. It occurred to me a few minutes later that it wasn't going to be easy to secure a ship as convenient as this if we did it on our own,  with this much supplies too.