Chapter 57

The heavy clouds up north, had sudden the moon and what was left of the night sky, they soon quickly covered Knightsbridge and it environs, bringing a ragging wind with them that swept the dust off the earth with it as it moved. It was certain it would rain, a very uncomfortable upset for an escape mission.

                   The rest of the squad were on their horses, just outside the gates, whispering amongst themselves what was taking Kelvin so long since Eruwine's sister had reached them half an hour ago. Edda had instructed Rava to take her to Strolgar and give her father an update of the situation of things, although it was very much a disadvantage for them to loose another member,  it was imperative that she kept her word.

Detached from all the discussions of the others she watched the gates,  anticipating the second Kelvin's horse would ride out,  but it didn't. Her thoughts went down the Memory Lane, bringing the image of the people of Knightsbridge to her mind,  causing her to ponder on the hardship they were enduring, she remembered how they looked hungry and unkept, even their nobles didn't look so good, she wondered how a king could treat his own in such unspeakable ways: taxing them to nothing. Duncan was starting to irritate her far more than any human did as she felt powerless to help the people. She thought and thought more about the people, comparing them with Strolgar's citizens until she began to sense an oscillating sound. She hushed the others down to catch the sound, but there was no need,  the sounds came louder themselves loud enough to be heard hundreds of metres from the city.

They exchanged glances, understanding what it meant.
"princess what do we do" Marcus asked.
"did you have to ask that too" Carina replied "there's only one thing we can do: run..."
"but we're not going anywhere" Edda cut in" not until Kelvin comes out of those gates"
"if that is your plan we need to move now" Aureathria advised pointing to the slowly closing gates of the city.
Without a word Edda tapped her horse to jerk it forward and charged down towards the gates.

They yelled words of restraint at her,  but it did no good as she had no intentions of stopping. Marcus followed immediately after her. Ignoring the warning they gave him also.
Aureathria knew Kelvin would make it out as always,  but going down there was a suicide mission. She thought about it for a few seconds and then realized, Kelvin would be upset if she stood watching while something happened to Edda. She looked round her and noticed the others watching her,  as if waiting for her decision.  She reluctantly grabbed her reins and jerked her horse forward too. Having seen this the others did the same saving only Carina who just stayed behind.

                     Edda went in through the gate as they were still a considerable distance apart. She noticed the garrison at the gate running about with defensive preparations.  She got down from her horse immediately, and traced a pair of stairs leading to a small structure on top the walls,  probably where the lever that controlled the gate was.  She made her way through the rowdiness, till she arrived at the lever, and met four soldiers, two with torches, while the others controlled the gear.

Her appearance threw them off a bit, causing them to halt, she herself had no idea what to do. Her hood alone spelt trouble,  and like she had known what the next course of action was,  she ducked to dodge the blow the first guard with the torch threw at her.  Realizing she had dodged that he drew his sword, so that he had his sword in one had and his torch in the other.
Edda brought out her daggers and the golden handles, caused the guard to pause in surprise.  She seized the opportunity and attacked with a spin, he responded also, with the torch first,  but  she parried it with one dagger and, with a twist,  buried the other in his neck,  as there was no other place to hit, on his armoured body.

The other, less armoured than the first came with a vertical swing but she blocked it with one blade and planted the other In his torso.  One of the duo at the gear motioned to run,  but she withdrew her blade from the one before her and hurled it at him, sending him to the ground.
The other raised his hands up in surrender,  then Edda chained him to  the gear: should it move,  he would be grounded into fine beef. She then, placed a sword between the next teeth of the gear and the ground to interrupt it.