Chapter 62

🎼🎶Enya : now we're free

                       In the mess off off uprooted, dry and leafless trees, and scrapped earth, Alwin helped Kelvin up, placing his arm on one shoulder, and rested him against a rock,  as it would take a while to recover his energy from the blast.
"that is no way to use the fang" Alwin said, seemingly disappointed, as he examined the sword.
"ugh,  I'm fine thank you? " Kelvin retorted,  hinting him to seeking about his welfare,  rather than the sword's.

"Rothgar gave you this" he asked,  ignoring Kelvin's response.
"yeah,  along with your seat at the table"  Kelvin replied.
"so you got to grow up in the castle, under his watch? " Alwin asked, raising a brow.
Kelvin looked up at him,  and noticed his expression didn't seem like he was going to believe him if he gave a positive response to the question.
"that is a long story" Kelvin replied.
"why didn't you come back" Kelvin inquired, but Alwin  didn't respond.
"you left me to survive off the streets, just so you could sit up here, and watch that big tree..."
The sentence hit Alwin so hard,  he tilted his head sideways in discomfort.

"I don't expect you to understand " he whispered, seeming to have a Remorseful countenance.
Kelvin, still finding it difficult to understand why his father didn't return,  searched for more questions to ask,  but his father's last sentence had drowned most of them, as he couldn't help, but wonder what he was talking about.

"you have no idea, the things I've done to survive " Kelvin added in a low tone. "every one thought you were dead "
Alwin still didn't utter a single word. After a long period of silence,  he finally spoke up.
"It was my fault to begin with " he started.
"you,  Ingrid, it was all my fault " he said slowly.
Kelvin was going to ask,  but Alwin continued on before he had the chance to.

"it was my fault to begin with" Alwin said,  sitting down by Kelvin
"I was young,  stupid and reckless Kelvin... I could've sat back as a black cape, in strolgar, and help Rothgar build the city of our dreams, but I wanted more. I wanted to get stronger, more powerful, powerful enough to protect all that I have and love, but it was never enough. So I joined the scout regiment, giving me the right to comb the realm and beyond in search of anything that could make our heritage more special than it was"

And I did find it, relics,  maps, spells, name it, I had it all,  and my wolf waxed stronger, and stronger. Then one day I wandered into the Elvin empire, and got myself captured. I learned a lot from them too, about the dragons,  their riders,  a lot...
And then there was Irimë,  the warrior princess, an irresistible lady of character, held in high esteem among them, and of course your mother. the elves,  even her father the king didn't approve of this. So... to escape his wrath, she fled with me across the sea,  back to Vrohengard. Where we planned to raise you, which we did, and as fate would have it,  Rothgar's girl was about your age...we all watched you both grow together as we had hoped, it was a really happy ending, but little did I know that the ending of a tale, was the beginning of another.

Your mother joined the Blackcapes,  and swore an oath to protect the crown, which she did actually,  with everything she had. Strolgar flourshied for a long period of time son,  until Erica,  Rothgar's wife was killed, with her escorts on her way back from seeing her parents. Irimë was among them, her personal guard, and friend. As the custom was, when such happened, all surviving guards faced the gallows, but I couldn't let this happen. I broke her out, and brought her back, where she was able to explain what happened to me. It was hardly believeable. Nobody was going to listen to that, so I did the next best thing, I sent her back, where they could never reach her,  and promised  I'll bring you to her someday, but I failed.

"how do you mean, I'm right here,  we could leave right now " Kelvin interrupted.
"I can't "Alwin replied
"why"
"patience son,  I would explain it to you" Alwin replied,  refraining from the argument to continue his tale