Chapter 8: The Commissioning ✅

The king ate his breakfast anxiously, anticipating the answer kelvin would give him, he kept looking at kelvin as he ate, expecting him to look up and give an answer anytime.
Beatrice just smiled anytime she caught the king looking at him, she felt the urge to push kelvin to give the king a reply, but, knew it won't do any good. Edda treated Beatrice with love and respect since the night before, like she remembered her but still maintained her coldness towards kelvin. She didn't like the unnecessary attention her father was giving him but she couldn't do a thing to stop it.

"I'll do it, I'll go with them on the mission with them but not as the leader" he said, finally looking up.

The king dropped his cutlery, and a warm feeling grew in his chest, causing his face to light up in a smile "finally" he said.

Edda got up angrily and stomped off out of the hall, without a word. "why did you choose to help out" the king asked.

"even from where live just on the outside of Strolgarh I've heard rumours of the affairs of the north and I'm curious, if what I hear is true we need to act fast."

The king was dumbfounded at his response, he just continued his meal, in a brighter mood than he had started.
Edda was behind the door the whole time listening to their conversation, and she immediately she heard that he had agreed, she stomped off, each guard and maid she met on the bowing in obeisance.

" What do that the locals say it is " king Rothgar asked pausing his meal
Beatrice was the first to speak up
" If I may your Grace "
The King raised his fork in approval
" I hear the men say it's a Ghost army..."
" Nonsense... There's no such thing " Rothgar the king exclaimed, interrupting her.
" And you " he asked looking at Kelvin.
He was silent for a bit then responded calmly
"The lords of the North are a united bunch and thus can stamp out any threat, but whatever thrives up there requires looking into"
The king thought about it for a minute, he didn't have the best of relations with the northern kings and lords, and what the lad said was true, their unity was their strength, whatever would tear them down would easily squash the South.

After giving it much thought his mind returned to what he'd hoped would be capable hands for the task and recalled his angry daughter had volunteered, and he began to worry.
He turned to kelvin in a low tone and said "There is something i must ask of you Kelvin." the king proposed, looking up at him. "I know Edda might be tough on the outside and seem really abrasive, but i know she is a huge softie and may not survive the terrors of what lies ahead. I know what I've heard, and can't even wish such fortunes on my enemies"

"And you'd let your daughter go" Kelvin asked

The old man only hummed, staring deep at the candles arrayed on the table before him
" It's out of my hands here, as stubborn as her mother that one, I only ask that you bring my daughter back home to me safely no matter what happens out there"

Kelvin wanted to object, he really didn't want to be out in the field with someone with her temperament, but it was the word of a king who was he to challenge him, besides Edda was a Fang Captain having a squad of her own, she could probably take care of herself "what could possibly go wrong" were the words that crossed his mind as he nodded his response to the king.

"its decided then, there would be a ceremony tonight to formally introduce you all, every Lord would be there, that'll give them the privilege of knowing the faces of the lands finest"

"The other Knights arrived already" Kelvin exclaimed revealing his surprise at the speed of things.

"Yes as scheduled, they are in their quarters as we speak. I would meet with you all at noon to give the details of your assignment in the throne room." he concluded. They finished the rest of their meal in silence before dispersing.