Chapter 3: A Friend In Black ✅

Strolgar possessed one of the most organized, and formidable armies in the realm. Ranging from archers to spearmen, swordsmen, artillery, and cavalry. All are divided into diverse ranks each division symbolizing the Strengths of the lightning Dragon of the Hertsbergs Sigil, (the Royal house of Strolgar); the Spade, Talons, Quills, Horns, Wings, and Fangs. all having other unique roles in battle. They were easy to identify by the color of the clothes beneath the armour, arm bands and flags assigned to each rank but bearing the same royal sigil. The Spades wore red clothes beneath their armor and were responsible for supplies as well as sweeping what was left of the enemies defeated in battle, they rarely got any of the action, as they consisted majorly of recruits, the unskilled and untrained. The Talons; were dark blue the backup unit in confrontational battles they were often used to hold the enemy forces in case a new tactic was to be employed, all ranged armies like the agile archers, and artillery (Quills); were yellow. The Horns(grey) were the infantry, a heavy iron army of foot soldiers. The wings (Purple) are the calvary, who are skilled at fighting from horseback. And finally, the Fangs (black) only a master of all other classes could be here and it was strictly by recommendation the best of the best they were and one of them was worth ten men, and they never numbered more than a hundred.

He lifted up his gaze to see that the guards were Spades, and felt disappointed, their ranks were full of corrupt officers, that was the only place they could fit in after all, as people like them would wreak havoc in Strolgar's military if promoted to greater ranks. He sat still, revealing a relaxed state of being, as the squad leader walked past him. He sat across the table and buried his dagger right in front of the lad, who began fidgeting immediately.

"You seem to be having a good time all by yourself boy," he said folding his left hand into a fist, fitting it into the other, and planting his elbows on the wooden table that contained the plates of food he was eating and the from which he drank.

"I'm only trying to have my first meal of the day sir" the boy responded, with a tone that revealed his current state of uneasiness and dread.
"First meal of the day" he scoffed " it's past dark already dimwit, and where did you get the money to afford such a treat"
The boy quickly removed his hand from his meal in fear as the words reached him.
" The old lady I helped throughout the day gave me double payment" he muttered.
"Lies" The Guard claimed a little louder than a bark, startling the entire Hall.
"By God I would have you stringed up if the truth doesn't come up from your mouth by morning"
" I swear its true, the old..." The boy began but was cut of as the Guard grabbed a handful of his clothes by the next and launched a fist at his face, but a firm grip at his elbow halted him, and his heart sank. He didn't feel anyone behind him before nor hear anyone walk up to them.

He tilted his head sideways to see a young man, who's countenance seemed too soft for such a grip. with a smile plastered to his face.
"Relax officer it's only venison steak and bread" kelvin said softly
"You dare obstruct the arm of justice in this city" he barked angrily, yanking his elbow away from his grip, but was unable to.
" No good sir, that there is the arm of shame lifted against the weak" he replied, letting go of his elbow." Now let go of the lad, he's not the one you're looking for "
"And who am I looking for" he asked, staring into his eyes
The boy quickly packed his food and darted out the door. Kelvin then turned and returned to his seat.
"Wait it's you" the guard said at the realization of a thought.

The silence passed between them for a while. Then kelvin gave himself a long drink and retired back to a relaxed position, not uttering a word. "You seem so full of yourself, can't wait to see what example the king makes of you" he added.

He lifted the cup to his lip and took another drink, this time almost emptying it, and returned it to the table still not saying anything. This infuriated the soldier causing him to flip the table over in anger. He turned his seat around and sat down, refraining from going any further. Kevin still didn't move a muscle. A false smile grew on the squad leader's face and disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.