Chapter 30: Twelve Shall Cross.

With his sword propped to shield himself from the serpent, Kelvin opened his eyes, He hadn't felt the serpent's impact, and wanted to find a out why. He dropped his arm,  to see Ava standing between him and the serpent, with her arms stretched up against it. Some how she was holding the serpent back with something light purple in color, like a veil of broken glass. She waited for some seconds, then pushed it back into the sea with the same veil. Kelvin just stood there,  not believing what his eyes had just seen.
Ava turned to him,  and exhaled,  expressing her releif from the power of fear she was subjected to a few moments ago.
"please tell me you could have done that the whole time" Kelvin asked
"it isn't that easy to do" she said turning to the rest, who were also frozen in astonishment.

She turned to Edda,  who was looking at her wide eyed.
"I'm sorry, i did not want you to find out this way " she said, in a low guilty tone.
" sorry?...  You just saved our asses"  Edda replied,  helping herself up with the wall.
"wasn't that hard now, was it" Rava  said, walking up to them.
"you knew too" Edda asked
"not until recently " Rava replied.
" Okay, talk time is over,  now we need to find how to stop that thing" Kelvin said,  climbing up the stairs to the rudder.
" Wait,  you can put  that thing down right? " he asked, looking at Ava. She looked at Rava,  then Edda,  then back to him,  I'm going to try.
" try works for me" Kelvin replied. Wrapping his palm around the handles again.

They retrieved the anchor,and stayed ready on both sides, waiting for it to surface again, which it did,  and this time, fast enough to grab a bite form the ship before Kelvin could make the turn,  but they had worked the plan carefully,  Ava stepped into the open,  and used the water to freeze the serpent to the body of the ship. They watched it struggle with the ice,  unable to do anything as they were fidgeting in terror. Leo was the first to overcome his. He ran over to the serpent and thrust his spear into its head. It immediately pulled off, cutting away with it, some parts of the ship.
The whole ship roared with excitement as it fell into the sea.
Leo raised his hands up in presumed victory "yeah"  he yelled turning to look at every one,  with a radiant smile on his face.

"no"   Kelvin called from a few feet away, "get away from the edge " .
No sooner had he completed the statement than the serpents tail returned to the surface and whipped Leo against the mast. Everyone could hear  his bones snap from where they stood.  The tail let go and was back in the water, in no time.
Kira was the first to scream,  as she ran towards him with all her strength. While the others followed after her.
Kelvin was about to leave the rudder when he saw land, not too far to the right.
He immediately turned the ship in that direction and signaled Rava to drop the sails. Steering the wheel, He battled the direction less winds.

The sea serpent struck again this time, lashing its tail on the deck, killing some crew men in the process. This pissed Kelvin off,  he so badly wanted to do something but he had to get the ship to land as soon as possible. He looked up and saw two huge rocks standing side by side,  and determined to use them to loose the serpent. He pushed the ship further in their direction,  almost speaking to it verbally to move faster. A few meters to the rocks,  the serpent wrapped the ship and positioned it's head above them. Kelvin cursed and let go of the rudder as it serpent rammed the floor boards and split the ship in two.

About a hundred meters from the shore,  it began to drag the ship below,  screeching up above their heads.  Rava jumped off the mast immediately it broke. And landed straight into the water. The others held on to what ever they could, not wanting to fall into the sea. Ava immediately reached for a torch,  and raised it up to the serpents face.
She shut her eyes and opened them, the flame expanded, and scorched the serpent's face. It immediately let go of the ship and disappeared into the sea behind them. They all remained silent,  waiting for it to pop up again, as usual,  but it didn't.

"its gone" Levi announced with a releif "good job Ava"
"but the ship isn't sinking any further " Mia asked
" that's because we're in the shallows"   Kelvin said almost breathlessly
"the lower rooms are already submerged, but the water can come no further "  he said tucking his hair behind his ear.
Rava came out of the water looking extremely nervous and yelling the names of everyone he could remember,  only to see them all laughing at him from above.

                                  Minutes later they set Leo down by a tree,  he couldn't speak, and was just looking at them. Ava was trying to heal him,  but She didn't have enough energy to heal up the damages. Kira was helping out with tears in her eyes. Kelvin just circled around them, not sure what to do. Leo's fingers still moved lightly, he looked up to Kira, with a panicking gaze
"hey love " he said,  barely above a whisper
" don't worry we're going to help you " she assured him,
"Kira, it's alright " he said, "i can't feel most of my body"
" no, don't do that " she protested holding and hugging him tightly. Recognising the farewell tone in the sentence.
" I'll be fine " he said breathlessly
" guys " he said,  calling their attention to himself, and they all fastened their eyes on him
" did we get it"  he coughed, after which blood dripped from his mouth.
No one knew what to reply,  but continued staring at him,  causing him to sigh in disappointment.
"stay with me " Kira sobbed. He looked to her and put his hand on her face
"i am... With you ... "     he whispered weakly as his hands involuntarily fell to the Earth.

Kira wailed, so loud, it almost choked her, Ivan motioned to pull her away from Leo, but she clung to him tighter than before, with tears streaming down her cheeks.
Mia turned to run but entered into Kelvin's arms,  and began to sob too.
Rava sank to the sank to the earth in dismay, as he realized what had happened.
Levi looked like the weight of the world came crashing on his shoulders, as he heard kira's cries.
Edda sank to the sands too as she watched Leo's lifeless body a few feet away,  hoping that he would just wake up and say he was kidding,  but he stayed still, confirming the reality of things to her. She just wasn't ready to accept it yet.

Ava's bloody hands were trembling when the prophecy came ringing back to her, " twelve shall cross..."
She turned to see Rava, but he was too deep in sadness to even look up. She looked around to see the others. Goosebumps covered her in a moment as she remembered the first time Leo talked to her, at the door of the tarven in Blackheath and felt a warm trickle down her cheek,  when the cold winds rushed at her.