Chapter 33: Show Us The Way

Thank you all for following the story up to this point
Please feel free to recommend to anyone... I need more guides moving foward... Thanks
........................................................................................................

                                            The entire camp was asleep when he returned. He quietly made it over to his pack wanting to search for anything useful, it was heavier than he remembered, raising his curiosity. He immediately dipped his hand in and felt a hollow metal bowl inside. He immediately drew it out and realized it was a helm,  quite broken, and scratched on the side. He studied it carefully, knowing he had seen it somewhere but couldn't say where exactly.

He looked up to where Ava sat, on the tree,  but wasn't sure if she could see him or not. He looked at it again but couldn't say whose it was exactly. He then brought it closer to his nose and sniffed. And Edda's scent came rushing through his head, along with the stench of dried blood. He recalled the scar on the side of Edda's face, and how uncomfortable she had felt when he rescued them at the cannibal village.

The scar on the helm, appeared on the same side she had suffered the wound. He knew it was a pike that was used, judging by the the piercings on it. his consciousness returned to his environment when he heard Gaitan groan loudly and turn over in his sleep.  He wondered how the helm had gotten into his pack, but couldn't get a logical explanation. He reached down into the bag again and yanked out his father's journal. It was damp, and consequently, heavier than normal. He opened it upon a rock and placed two stones on it to let it dry. He then turned around and put the Helm by Edda's side,  before walking off to an empty spot to sleep for the night.

                                    He caught a boot in the leg when it was morning and his eyes flew open,  he looked up to see Rava standing above him a worrying look in his eyes.
"Kelvin there's trouble " he said pushing his face in the direction of the others searching around for trails or something.
" what happened " he asked rubbing his eyes.
" i don't think we are alone " Rava replied.     Kelvin immediately sprung to his feet and reached for his sword after these words.
"  how do you know that he said " as they made their way towards the others
" back on that Island, There was something,  something seriously disturbing,  we think it followed us here"
"what is it"
"not sure yet,  but it took that away,  and now it's brought it back" he said pointing to Edda's helmet on the ground.
Kelvin studied it for a while,  it was still the same way he placed it on the ground.

Kelvin stood there confounded for a bit,  not understanding what exactly was going on,  but slow to speak as he was,  he didn't utter a word, but tried to get more information.
"when did it take her helm"   he asked
"the night before you popped in from no where "
Kelvin knew instantly that this had nothing to do with him,  since he wasn't there,  so he drew his sword confidently.
" and nobody saw the helmet or the creature since then".  Kelvin asked
Rava only nodded in response. Kelvin held his peace too, just so as to hear any sound.

                                          After hours and hours of searching and finding nothing. Ivan recalled,  and then reminded them,  that the creature ran off before day light and it was better if they left before sundown. To avoid an unnecessary battle, that could easily claim another life.
Edda picked up the helmet and cast it into the sea angrily,  mad at the time and effort she had to waste. And the others went to pack up their things.
Before long they all assembled with bags strapped to their back and began to make their was through the woods. The sailors had also parted ways with them and headed down the coastline to find a port,  where they could board a ship back home.

In order to put a safe distance between themselves and it, the walked through the night, until the evening of the next day,  where they found a good spot under a shade tree to rest for the night. Every one kept to themselves as they nibbled on their provisions, which was either bread, dried fish, or dried meat.

Kira still kept to herself, although she didn't have much strength in her, she used Leo's spear as a staff to support her as she walked. Only Mia got replies from her when she tried to communicate with her, so everyone left them to it while they set other things in place. And grabbed their deserved breaks.

Levi opened the map of the realm and began scanning the routes alone ahead of the rest of the journey. He noticed that the heart glow tower was way off from where they were and that it would take long to get there at their walking rate. He racked his head for all possible means of transport, but he knew he was new to the terrain. He had two options, he either handed the directions to Kelvin or found a nearby village and ask for a guide of some sort. Giving the directions to Kelvin felt like defeat on his part and he wasn't ready to accept that. He was ready to go to any length to prove he was better. To him the only option was to find a village and find it fast.

He looked up from the map,  and his eyes found Kelvin, who was looking back at him too as he fumbled with the map. Not sure how long he had been watching, Levi turned his head around to see the others as they settled down. He looked for Edda, and soon found her seated against the tree, engaged in an active conversation with Ava on her astonishingly new found ability. Edda seemed so interested in knowing how long she had been a mage,  and how she had been able to hide it for that long.

"BREAK'S OVER... MOVE OUT" Levi said standing up.
Everyone thought it a joke,  so they ignored him and continued their discussions  till he repeated the order again. Edda couldn't believe her ears. She stood up from Ava's side and strode over to him.
"what are you doing " she asked
" what does it look like " He replied
" WE AREN'T STOPPING TILL WE FIND A VILLAGE " he announced again
" you can't be serious " she whispered, stepping on his foot, signaling him that he was making the wrong call.
" i don't have time for this Edda " he said pushing her backwards.

" what's the matter captain, having problems with the map"  Kelvin's voiced sounded from the other side of the clearing
Levi went mad with rage instantly. There was no answer to his question that wouldn't blow his cover, Kelvin was right he had absolutely no idea what he was doing
"do you even have any idea where we are heading once we leave here" Kelvin asked again.
"I'll figure it out"  Levi countered
"you see, that's the problem.. Why make a new route when one already exists... Isn't that the reason I'm here "he said looking around to the others who began nodding too.
Furious at the fact that he was gaining support Levi replied
" not anymore,  i can't leave the lives of these good men in the hands of a man who can't differentiate his dreams from reality"

Kelvin fell silent for a bit,  his face, not revealing a hint of hurt of any kind
"we'll have it your way then"   Kelvin turned to leave when a fast tap sound reached him.
He turned back to see Levi's face turned to the side and Edda standing right before him. The shocked expression on every ones faces said it all Edda had slapped him.
She pulled the map out of his hands and motioned to leave when his hands rose above her.
"go ahead... Do it" she dared  " Levi... Do it she dared again.. if i won't have your head for it"  she said angrily as she stomped off.
Levi noticed every one slowly putting down their weapons as she left. It then dawned on him that they had their weapons draw to kill him, should he have hit her.
Perhaps he had gotten to familiar and forgotten the Imperial law,  that anyone who smote a member of the royal family will be relieved of his head.

He stood there looking embarrassed and disgraced as she walked up to Kelvin,  drew out his hand and put the map in.
"show us the way we'll leave in the morning " she said before returning to her sleeping area. Kelvin still remained frozen as a statue with unbelieving eyes,  and so did the others,  Rava and Ava in particular.
" you seem to have forgotten your place captain "  Vulcan began, holding him on the shoulder " you're never greater than the princess remember that"
He said finally, tapping him on the shoulder and walking off