Chapter 15: Strange Acquaintance ✅

Raindrops pelted off the roof top, adding another to the collection of the diverse sounds he had been hearing , since day light. The rain clouds had made it difficult for him to determine the time of the day, but since the sounds of carts, horses, people loitering had died down, he knew it was probably late in the evening or even night time.

He left his room and walked down into the hall that appeared to be full of people, having drinks or meals and chattering. He examined the hall for a bit, trying to find a place that wouldn't prove much trouble to sit, but found none, then he heard a loud feminine chuckle from the counter and turned in that direction. His eyes widened to see Edda, full of wine and playing carelessly with her fellow drunks.

He walked over slowly till he got close enough to start a conversation with her. He watched her gamble and drink from that close distance, never before seeing her do such a thing.

"what are you looking at us like that for boy, join us " a gruff voice reached him seeming to come from one of her fellow gamblers.

"Perhaps he seems to like the lady, see how he stares at her." another added mockingly, raising the chatter among them.

"stop that... Garry i told you I'm no lady." she protested wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand, her words, revealing the depth of her drunkenness. She noticed, through her blurred vision as one of the men flipped a die in a bit to cheat the game "HEY! " she yelled, in quick reaction, and launched her mug to his head.

"alright that does it! " kelvin muttered, grabbing and yanking her away from the table, before the trouble would escalate.

"let me go... Damn it" she yelled, throwing her arms and kicking as he carried her. He carried her over to the counter and asked for a mug of water. He watched her giggle and speak to herself till the water was brought to him. He gave her a drink, but it didn't seem to help.

"here give her this it'll help stabilize her." a man called from his side, handing him a small bottle. He looked at the bottle, and then to the bartender who nodded his head in approval. He took it, and after a series of struggles was able to get her to drink it. After which she dozed off on the counter. He watched as she slept carelessly, confused if this was the way of the noble ladies in Vrohengard or just the effect of the wine.

"she'll be better, when she wakes up. " the man spoke again, reminding kelvin of his presence. Kelvin, for the first time turned to him, unable to determine his build due to his large sheepskin cape, but could see his face clearly. He had blonde short curls for hair and a pair of blue eyes,a pointed nose suspended from between them and a seemingly well rounded jaw.

"you're not from these parts are you?" he asked.

"neither are you." Kelvin stated blankly.

He bowed his head down with a smile for a bit. "and you know this how " he asked raising his head back up.

"well for starters, while your hair and eye colors match many of the races and tribes in these lands, your accent and skin tone is northern, the chain mail underneath your cloth is made in kites not rings; definitely not from this side of the country either and the inscriptions on your vambraces are markings i'm no stranger to, but what bothers me is that coat of sheepskin and boots that would mean you're of noble blood or you took that from someone before you crossed those waters to come down here.... judging by the embroidery of that hood and the your sleeve, i'd say... What in the depths of Barrenheight are you doing here "

Speechless, he looked up at the ceiling with a forced smile about his face. He looked at his sleeve to see that his vambraces that had slipped from under his leather jacket was vibrating periodically. There we're only two times that happened, one was when they were close to a fellow weilder and the other when danger was near, and only a true weilder would know the difference,
They starred at each other for long seconds, then he spoke first cautiously, stretching his hand towards kelvin, his fingers weaved into sign. "Till the sun rises in the west and sets in the east..."
"The blades of justice will never bow " he said complimenting the hand sign to form a seal, before a series of strange handshakes, with patters to them that ended with a half embrace
"I'm Eruwine " he said heaving a sigh of relief
"Kelvin"...