Chapter 12: An advantage, not two?✅

The camp had a ghostly silence about it that evening, although the dim skies still gave their lights, darkness shadowed the woods at the foot of the mountain into where kelvin seemed to have disappeared . Every one went about their businesses silently, like they weren't wanting to offend someone or something.

Kelvin sat, pissed. at the foot of a tree, not too far from the clearing of the camp site. He gritted his teeth together as he pondered whether or not to continue this journey and just disappear. He couldn't believe how insensitive she was, still having the guts to come up to him to talk about some rules that made no sense when people's lives were at stake. If she was convinced he was wrong, why then did she come to assist him. He pondered, but he had dealt with nobles in the past, and they really weren't different to each other in how they treated the commoners, and that appeared to be the case with the captain and Edda too though she seemed to have a heart like her father's, but he doubted she knew they were more alike that she would like to admit, he always itched to put people who behaved this haughty way in their place, but it was hard was harder to do when dealing with royalty, especially not the Queen to be.

The sounds of a pair of slowly approaching footsteps interrupted his thoughts. He turned on his side in the direction of the steps. It surprisingly seemed way off, way off to be heard from his distance. He watched as a moving object began to take shape beyond the leaves, coming from the direction of the campsite. He waited for the object to get into close range before speaking.

"not a step further! " he warned.

The person made a startled stop, waited for a bit, then began to come closer again.

"I'm not gonna say it again." he glared.

"I'm Balfour.." the person stated boldly. "the leader of the trade group you saved this afternoon he added.

Kelvin sighed on hearing this. "what do you want?"

"an audience would do." the man replied quickly. "can i come over? "

Kelvin paused, trying to prevent his mood from overshadowing his manner. He lifted his hands and beckoned to him. He lifted his gaze as the man walked into his line of sight, he couldn't see his face, but could tell from his stature that he was the man whose daughter he saved earlier. The man looked over at him for a while, then cleared his throat to speak.

"I don't know why you saved us today." he began. "and judging by your sigils were aren't friends nor allies. Since Blackheath arrived Vrohengard, my people have refused to submit to the ruling power of Strolgar and instead named our own king, and it's been that way for generations, several kings have rallied against our great city but it has been impenetrable for years, only the current king I know hasn't attempted such a feat, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did..."

"Did you come to give me a history lesson, or you want to know we saved your group" Kelvin asked, with a chill to his voice.

"no.. " the man cut in. "I doubt I'll be ever able to repay you for all you did for us today, we're alive because of you and your friends son and I'm sorry for all the troubles that caused you"

Kelvin remained silent after the man had spoken. "you are a good man, you should never allow the words of others get to you." he added. "besides i think that other lady knows she owes you an apology judging by the way she reacted when you left. Kelvin still didn't utter a word. "forget all she has said, its the way of women to be that way, come with me to the camp, let's fix you something to eat."

Kelvin wanted to refuse but the rumble in his stomach, had replied first. He got up and followed the man back to the camp.

The man raised open the curtain that led to his tent to reveal a large round table and his team, sitting around it. Kelvin hesitated when he saw them, then Mia beckoned to him to come sit by her. He took one quick look around the room trying to find where Edda and Levi sat, but didn't find any of them. Satisfied he walked over to Mia and sat by her.