Chapter 23 : A Pike Too Many

what? expecting Kelvin's Pov? 😂 😂 😂
Fat chance of that happening!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The five rode on deeper along the clear paths scanning everything in sight for any Yellow beam of light, hoping that the torches or campfires will give away the position of the natives, They rode past falls, arrays and arrays of trees, finally spotting the first flame hours later. Rava spotted the flame first. The light was coming from a spot on the ground, few metres up ahead, he announced that it could probably be a camp fire and asked for Edda's orders.

Edda looked round at them to see their eyes fastened expectantly on her, but wasn't able to come to a decision with her troubled thoughts. Rava asked for her orders again, this time turning backward to her. He noticed her troubled expression, and knew something was going on in her head. Wanting to rid her of the embarrassment. He asked
"should we ride past it, or investigate the fire"
"ride" she said looking up at him with a false confidence.

He smiled down to himself, amused at how seriously she was trying to cover up.
"the fire is just off the path, if its a camp, they could alert the others if we ride past them.
"he's right" Leo acknowledged turning to Edda.
"then it's down to one decision ain't it" she replied climbing off her horse. They all did the same,
"stay and man the horses, we'll signal you when it's done" she said, turning to Ava, who just nodded in response.

Four of them moved stealthily toward the fire, at first it just appeared as a tiny glow in the distance, but as they got closer objects around it began to take form out of the pitch darkness. A huge muscular figure passed by the fire, and they dodged as his form caught their eyes
"damn... That's one hell of a man" Ivan whispered turning to Rava
"i had hoped Marcus was imagining things, but that isn't the look of things is it? " Rava replied scanning the area.

He turned back to Edda, and informed her that the camp only had six visible members, but there could be more. She knew attacking them was a risk and so was running away, but the consequences was the difference . Running would hand them more than what they bargained for, but they could eliminate this small unit, and cover their tracks. It looked quite an inviting option, but they had to thread cautiously just in case of potential surprises.

"our plan of attack? " Leo asked
" since they are seated around the fire, first we'll circle around them then on my signal, Rava shoot down two, while the rest of you attack with me" she replied immediately like she was expecting the question. They nodded in acknowledgement and approval, with an expression that showed they were satisfied with the plan.

She gave the attack order and they drew out their blades. She wore her helmet and tightened her grip on her daggers. Rava started the attack, stealthily stepping out into the open camp while the others crouched in the grass. They circled round the six natives warming themselves by the fire. Already in position to attack, they waited for Edda's signal, but nothing came, they waited a few more seconds but still nothing.

She was crouched next to a rock, from where she could see the camp clearly, the skulls the natives wore, glowed in the distance, this disturbing sight threw her off for a bit as the thought of the natives placing their heads on stakes hit her, but there was more to come, she shifted her gaze to see something hanging above the fire. Supported by two sticks to the sides, a full human body hung from an horizontal staff. Roasting, like it was pork being prepared for a feast.

A native got up, strode to the body, peeled a strip off the skin and ate hungrily. She threw up at this sick sight, and cursed in disgust. She looked up to see them fighting over the food already, stunned by their insanity she didn't remember to give the order, but crouched there, watching them. Till Rava shot an arrow into one of them from behind. And the others charged in on them, taking the natives by surprise.