Chapter 25: Dinner Time

The rolling waves beating against the banks was the first thing she heard, followed by the rushing sea wind, pushing against the tent. Ava's eyes fluttered open and close, as the morning light entered into her eyes, causing them to ache. She rolled over to continue her sleep, but her eyes landed on her scarred arm, she instantly recalled the event of the night before and rolled off the bed.

She yawned and rubbed her eyes as she exited the tent, walking into the clearing of the camp. The crew were moving about in a disorderly fashion, some gathering wood, making breakfast, while the others fixed the ship, which was near completion. She studied the ship carefully and realized that it wouldn't be long before the reconstruction would be completed, two days at most. She quickly left off her spectating and hurried to find the captain, wanting to explain what had happened.

Levi was in a conversation with Carina and Gaitan when she walked in. She bowed quickly before they turned to her,
"you may stand" Levi ordered
"what happened last night " Gaitan inquired
Ava opened her mouth to speak, but a tear rolled out first. Carina immediately got up and held her in her arms to console her. She hid herself in Carina's huge build and sobbed lightly for a while.
The sight angered Levi, but he kept to himself. Watching Carina help her down to a seat.

Carina brought her a cup of tea,but she refused it and eagerly told them all that had happened, but they struggled to hear her with her shaky voice. The tea had cooled by the time she was done, she bowed her head on the table, and the tent fell into a long period of agonizing silence.
"what do we do now" Carina asked, rubbing Ava's back and looking to Levi.
He remained silent for a couple of minutes, pondering on what to do. Edda's stubbornness had caused him a great deal in his mission, but he couldn't return home without the princess.

"Edda is paying for her stubbornness " he began " we don't know if they are alive or dead, and i don't have enough men at my disposal. If it wasn't something that four of them couldn't handle, then our chances are the same"
He stood up and walked up to entrance of the tent.
"we can't go back without the princess, and we don't have enough men to complete the mission either"
He sighed and walked over to the table again
"I'll come up with a decision in the evening, I've got some work to attend to now.

Ava's eyes widened and the tears stopped as she heard this. She raised her head up in disbelief.
"it could be too late by evening, we need to move now when there's light in the sky, the natives... "
"I've made my decision " he cut in bluntly.
Ava nodded and wiped her face dry. Gaitan and Carina watched as she stood up, bowed and walked ou the tent.
"you think she's going after them" Gaitan asked looking at Carina
" she's just a serving girl " what can she do against them Levi scoffed

Carina left talking to Levi and Gaitan, and headed off to see Marcus and Ava an hour later. She met Marcus at the front of the tent, sipping from a cup, she asked of Ava, and he informed her that had given him the drink, and said she was heading out to gather some herbs. Carina took a seat beside him. She was about to speak when she noticed that Ava's purple hood was gone. She immediately got up and ran to the stable, she placed her hand against her temple, when she realized that Ava's white horse was gone too. She knew Ava had gone after them, she allowed her emotions to get the better of her, knowing she stood no chance against the natives. She knew Ava was only going to get herself killed, but she couldn't follow after her, she hurried back into the camp to find Levi .

* * * * * * * *

Edda's eyes flew open as she felt a tug on her shoulder. She looked up to see Mia,, then turned toward the village and realized that the sun was beginning to set.
"for how long was i out" she asked sitting up speedily.
"long enough, i was getting lonely here" Mia said sitting back in her corner.
" and you chose to wake me" Edda said with a soft smile, which Mia reciprocated.
"the wolf would be back anytime soon " she whispered... Mia only nodded in acknowledgement.
Her head still hurt, she looked over to see the guys, sleeping also. Her attention was draw back to the village, by the sounds of multiple footsteps. She saw the guards, climb up to them and bang their spears against the cages, to wake them up.

They stormed the cages and kicked them all up, yelling in a language they didn't understand.
"what's going on " Kira asked nervously as one of them pulled her up by the arm
" we're going to dinner " Rava responded half chuckling
" i hope you're grilled first, so you can stop running your mouth" she replied
"can we focus here guys " Ivan chipped in.
" on what, being eaten? " Rava responded
" we're about to die and this is what we're discussing " Edda inquired, smashing the of fun they were having.
" you just wanna suck the joy out of everything " Rava added quietly.
She turned to him with a glare, but was pushed on before he saw her.

Bound in their hands with ropes, the guards dragged them out into the village. A large audience awaited them as they reached the village
" who gives their food this much ovation" Rava asked
"shut up Rava" Edda barked, but he hummed in reply.
Immediately after, a villager yelled pointing at them, and they began to throw fruits at them, from all areas,
"hmm nice flavoring , dont you think" Rava began again
"this is your fault " kira snapped, cutting him off
" how " he replied, pretending to be shocked by their conclusion
" can't you just die quietly " Mia chipped in
" i never said anything " Rava replied
" food... ovation " Kira murmured,
" that was a while ago " he said pretending to be sober.
Every one else fell silent, to avoid egging him on.

They arived a large clearing that had a huge wooden seat and a large fire place opposite it. They were accompanied by the villagers into the large square, and it was soon filled up. Some carried wood with them as the walked in, and dropped it at the fire place, and stood like they were waiting for something to happen.
Minutes later a group of people walked into the square. And the people parted ways for them till they reach the front where the wooden chair was located. They opened up and a heavily decorated and fearfully looking huge man strode and sat on the seat, while a lady stood by him. His garment was decorated with more skulls and bones than any of the others. His head had a crown of feathers and leaves on it.

"how does he walk about with that? " Rava inquired, but piped down when he saw the expression and speed with which the others looked at him.
The king raised his spear and hit it in the ground to signal a decorum. Which the villagers observed instantly.
He gave a long speech, at the end of which he pointed down at their captives, and the villagers cheered him, as he sat down.
"these crude morons think we understand them" Rava joked
"my pipole su not fyke su ve insoltid" feminine voice sounded from the side of the throne, although it's pronunciation seemed off, the message was perfectly understood.

Rava froze, eyes wide, and so did the others except Kira who laughed uncontrollably, till Edda turned to her.
"ferhapz i shulda zel za pipole vat jou zave yuz sed ", she said, turning to the king.
"no" Rava called quickly "that was a mistake, i believe we could come to some sort of agreement "
"i dant thik zo " she replied turning to face the king again.
After they had spoken she turned, toward them
" ze pipole velife zat ya Kamin zo pre'mok vas zraught ze Tutulak"
"what? " Mia asked
" ze bist zu sawd vesterdai " she replied sternly
" it is da sain dada gods er angri, an ha zud kinz az desazed zu shud bi zascrifys zo it "

" errr... Whats she saying" Mia asked
"not really sure, but i did hear king, decided, sacrifice and it. " Rava replied seeming slightly serious in his speech.
" well thats not good news " Edda whispered.
" if we're going to escape, it has to be now, or we'll be someone else's dinner, in a couple of minutes " Ivan advised, but no one had any ideas, they were surrounded and out numbered, waiting for their fates.
Edda began to feel uneasy, her head began to throb again. She involuntary fell to her knees, but the guards stopped the others from attending to her.

A rumble began in the crowd, they were murmuring and scattering, behaving in a disorderly manner. The king raised his staff to silence them but the noise intensified instead. The dogs began Barking furiously and attacking the villagers. Other creatures of the forest crept into the village and joined in the attack. The guards scattered around and left their prisoners unprotected. While some went to shield their king.
Not too long after, they all felt their bonds cut off and something land at their feet from behind. They all looked to each other as their hands fell fowards from their backs, and were even more astonished when they saw that their weapons, we're assigned to them correctly. They all turned to help Edda and saw their biggest surprise yet.