chapter 68

Miles off the valley they had encountered the dragon, they finally stopped moving, being barely able to walk. They scattered themselves around, but were well hidden by a boulder, a tree or something else. Aureathria urged them,  to move to the upper parts of the mountain, for their safety,  but even she didn't have the strength to walk a few more steps,  let alone climbing.

Vulcan,  unwrapped his toast, and gnawed at them, seeming more relaxed than anybody else.
"is that really all your brain is telling itself right now " Rava inquired, hilariously disappointed.
"I won't even spare a bite,  not if you keep asking like that" Vulcan replied,  stretching it out to him, like he was handing it over, but brought it back to himself, as quickly as he had given it out.
Rava just rolled his eyes and walked off to Ava who sat in solitude.

No one was ready to associate with her after what they'd seen, except Rava who tried to cheer her a few times,  that never worked.
He sat beside her silently for a few seconds, then noticed the papers in her hands.
He motioned to take them, and without any resistance, he took them.
From the blood on them,  he knew she had taken it from Natasha.
"I gave her that, to help you all get back home" Ava said, with a remorseful tone.
"I didn't know what was going to become of me, so I asked her to kill me if she had to,  but she did the exact opposite... She did the exact opposite Rava she sobbed "
"it's alright "he said,  patting her on the back.
"I really liked her you know"Ava began " I wanted to know her more but..."
"shhhh" Rava cut her off...

"no amount of crying Is going to bring her back, but you can make her sacrifice worth it,  by helping us finish this "
"I can't " Ava whispered
"what?...  Why" he asked.
"all the power I've used so far, was hers" she explained
"I'm not actually as strong as an average mage "
"Oh... We're toast " Rava exclaimed, bowing his head.
"Natasha was our best shot at stopping the incubus, not me,  Enchantress knew this, that's why she tried to take her... Natasha never... "
"enough... " Rava cut in
"that's enough about her... We must make do with what we have,  now you may not be as good as she was,  but you sure still have a few tricks up your sleeves, I believe in you Ava, you can do this "
Ava was speechless, watching him,  as he made an end of speaking. She studied the detail of his face to be sure he wasn't mocking her,  till the stare became awkward,  and he broke it off.

"now what's in these papers " he said,  unfolding them.
He set them before him,  and noticed a seal in one, and the other he observed to be a note.
"what's this one" he said, pointing to the seal.
"it's a teleportation seal, I could use that to get us home quickly "
"well thats great,  where'd you get it " he asked
"heartglow" she replied
"and this? " he asked, referring to the others.
"It's the only thing I have on killing the dead.. "
"what does it say" he asked,  being unable to read it in the dark
"well,  like we figured out before, fire can kill them, then blades coated in enchanted mountain ash, those are faster"
"that'll be a hell of a lot easier " he said " can't wait to show this to the others in the morning, he said folding the papers again.
"and the incubus,  anything on how to defeat him" he asked,  after a long pause
"just the same Wolfking, and I still have no idea what that is" Ava replied.
"me neither " he yawned.

                          Exhausted he rested his back against the same boulder as her,  and looked up,  to see Edda sleeping on Kelvin's torso.
He turned to Ava,  who seemed to also be looking at them,  and they both swallowed hard  against the lump in their throats simultaneously, making them both giggle lightly, then Rava turned on his side to rest for the night.  She reached out her arm to him,  but dropped it before her fingers could make contact. She did it again, but couldn't overcome her restraints, and dropped them, but retained her position watching his back till she slept off.