Chapter 28: Heart Strings

Into the clear skies and open seas again, Marlin, the black galleon, as she was called, sailed again, moving in the same direction with the wind,  she gathered up speed, and before long the island was out of sight, leaving them to open waters all around. The waters were calm and so was the air on the ship but for the sounds of stretching ropes, the strain the sail cloth suffered by the pushing of the wind behind it. The repairs, although not perfect, could hold against the water for some time  to come,  but they could be somewhere around the end of the crossing,  by the time it would falter, as estimated by the repair team.

Kelvin stayed at the back of the ship alone starring at the division the ship made on the sea as it moved. Standing against the wind,  it pushed against his face raising his long hair up from his shoulders,  as he rested his arms on the barriers. His thoughts kept going over what had happened that morning, he noticed the others had heard of what happened,  judging from their strange reactions towards him. So he kept to himself,  there wasn't any point arguing,  he was caught, trying to kill Vulcan. No matter what he said,  there was no way he could say that he hadn't recognized him,  even his people couldn't defend him, for fear of a repetition.

Ava had come to meet him when they returned to the camp earlier in the day. Inquiring with an increasing curiosity how he had managed to survive,  but he didn't say much,  there was nothing to say,  since he himself didn't remember anything. His encounter with Levi too was wordless as he expected,  but with the situation of things   he had lost a point to Levi, and the tables were rapidly turning. A lot of other things happened too,  but all, as he felt were irrelevant to the situation at hand.

He couldn't go to apologize, what would he say he was apologizing for,  attempting to kill Vulcan? Or the fact that he didn't recognize him?  No one's gonna believe that.

                               From where she sat Edda was sneaking peeks at him,  wandering what was going on in his head. His standing there alone was threatening. He hadn't  apologized for his actions, but just stayed quiet the whole time. "what if Ivan was right"  she pondered   what if he was to kill them,  to what end,  she so badly wanted to stand,  walk over and ask him what actually happened, and see things from his perspective,  but her thoughts came to Levi,  what he would think if he saw them together. She fought the reluctance to move, finally able to overcome them she motioned to get up, but Levi's voice reach her ear,  and she sat back unconsciously in an instant,  her heart,  racing against her ribcage.

She listened and realized that he was only in a short conversation with someone and was going below deck. She exhaled,  drew a deep breath,  and prepared to get up. turning in Kelvin's direction,  she stopped involuntarily, as her eyes landed on Mia already beside him. She rested her back again, with a sting of jealousy,  she waited for Mia  to leave for a couple of minutes,  but just had she had been suspecting, she didn't move,  but rather was annoyingly moving slowly into his towering build. She waited a little more but she just won't leave. She gave up and looked away,  only to see Rava and Ava in another corner, together too, talking, barely above whispers,  it was fricking disturbing, you rarely saw nobles and serving girls together back in stolgar... Although her thoughts were that Rava was just trying to catch some fun as usual, but she felt insulted that it was her handmaid he chose. Disgusted by this sight she got up and made her way below deck to find Levi.

She spotted him talking to a crew man and walked down to meet him,  recounting her last ordeal with him, and hoping to meet a friendly familiar reception.

                                  "i know it was you" Rava cut in  from his jokes and flattery to the main subject he wanted to discuss with her.
"what you are talking about "    She Replied, seeming confused at the  accusation
" the water back at the village " he replied arching an eyebrow
" what was wrong with it,  was it poisoned"
"i mean the wave,  the tsunami "
"  a tsunami hit the village? "  she inquired with unbelieving eyes.
Rava gave a long pause after exhaling and a stare that revealed he wasn't fooled by her pretense.
" Okay fine,  it was me" she replied concentrating her gaze on the sea in front of them.
"what were you thinking,  you could have gotten us killed "
" i thought you guys were cannibal food already, and i had to do something, since our Captain won't. "
" Ava,  we could have died down there,  moreover you wiped the entire village"
"they got what they deserved " she replied,  justifying her actions
"  including the innocent children " he asked.