Chapter 81: Just Friends

DANIELLE'S POV

*A Few Months Later*

"Hey Danielle." Skyler smiled as I walked to my locker.

"Hey." I said, opening my locker.

"I want to ask you a question." He said, looking down at his fingers.

"Shoot." I said, glancing over at him before turning my attention back to my locker.

"Well, um, the winter formal is um, coming up and um, I was wondering if, uh, if you wanted to go."

"Go?"

"Yeah, go, like with, uh, me." He asked with a hopeful smile.

"Sure." I smiled.

"Really? Wow! That's great." He said.

"Danielle!" Ember exclaimed as she ran up to me.

"Hey Ember, Skyler and I were just about to head to our first class." I said as the bell rang.

"I'm actually going to go to the bathroom before class starts. See ya." He said, walking off.

"What's wrong with Skyler?" She asked as we started walking.

"He just asked me to the winter formal."

"No way! This is amazing Danielle!"

"Amazing in a friend way. I'm not looking for a relationship right now."

"You've got to move on from the psycho!"

"Ember, I'm just not interested in a relationship. I don't like Skyler."

"Alright, whatever you say. I gotta get to class, see ya." She said and ran off. Do I like Skyler?

***

"Hey Danielle, how was your day at school?" My mom asked.

"Um, it was good. Can I ask you something?" I asked, following her into the kitchen.

"Go on ahead." She said, continuing to get things ready for dinner.

"Well, you know that boy Skyler I told you about?"

"Yes."

"Well, today, he kind of asked me to go to the winter formal that's coming up in a few weeks."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, so I was wondering if it would be cool if I went."

"Oh, I don't know Danielle. You're going to have to ask your dad." She said and I groaned.

"But mooom!"

"No buts Danielle! Youi know how your father feels about you girls doing anything with boys."

"It's not my fault he's paranoid."

"Well, it's not my fault either. It's just how he is and you're going to have to deal with it. He's lived longer than you Danielle, he has two sisters, he's seen relationships succeed and he's seen them fail."

"Well I'm not looking for a relationship, I don't even like like Skyler! He's just a friend! The winter formal is just a dance! It's not like it's prom where people hook up! I'm in eigth grade for god sakes!"

"Danielle, after Harper, I say your dad's trust level for boys are pretty low."

"Oh my god, I date one guy!"

"He may just think that after Harper, you may be a little convinced to try to keep Skyler happy."

"Oh my god! Are you saying I'm a slut?"

"No! Look, this isn't a fight you should be having with me. I'm just saying how your dad might react, who knows, he may surprise us. I'm just saying that he is exactly like his dad. He was an eigth grade boy once Danielle, he knows how they think, just remember that."

"Ugh! This is so unfair!" I exclaimed as I went upstairs.

***

"Danielle! Your dad is home!" My mom called. I sighed and walked downstairs to see my dad on the couch.

"Hey Danielle, you wanted to talk to me?"

"Uhm, yes. I told you about that new boy Skyler, right?"

"Yeah, what about him."

"Well, he asked me to the winter formal today. I was wondering if I could go."

"Danielle-"

"I don't even like Skyler like that, dad! He's just a friend! I promise you! I'm not even looking for a relationship." I said and he sighed.

"I don't know Danielle, I just don't want another Har-"

"Neither do I. Please!"

"Fine, but I drive you to and from."

"Deal. Thank you!" I exclaimed, hugging him.

"No problem." He said as I ran back upstairs.

**************************************************************************************

Did Brandon make the right choice? Does Danielle really only like Skyler as a friend?

30 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER