A rock to start it all

James looked confused but he nodded. "Be right back," he told Kim and stood up. He followed Star to the back of the ship and waited for her to say something.

Star scowled up at the brown haired jock. "What I first want to say is: how dare you?"

James looked beyond confused. "What?"

Star crossed her arms. "So first you give me all these signs that you're interested in me and suddenly you just dump me for that!"

James scowled. "Don't talk about Kim like that. She's a great girl and we were never a thing, Star. Get your head out of the clouds. Not everyone is interested in you."

Star flinched and her expression deflated.

James felt guilty for his ex friend. He dragged his hand across his hair. "Sorry, Star."

Star still felt abandoned. What she wanted to know was: "Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why her?"

James chuckled and shook his head. "I know it's weird. I always saw her as this quiet nerd that wouldn't stand up for herself, if I even thought about her at all. But she isn't anything like that. She she isn't shy, she does stand up for herself. In her own way. She always has a plan, it's amazing." He looked at Star, thinking. "You know. I think you guys could be friends."

He could tell that Star was offended and held a hand up. "I'm sure you guys could get along well. Please, just try. I want to stay friends, Star."

The blonde pursed her lips. James couldn't believe how she looked without makeup. Especially Paulina. They looked like they hadn't slept for weeks.

Star inspected Kim. Not popular material, she decided, but not completely loser material either. She could do. Maybe a few changes in her clothing. Red lipstick and something in her hair to keep it from falling in front of her eyes the whole time. She might even turn out beautiful. Star nodded. What she had seen of Kim's character lately was promising. She would have to work to get rid of that shyness that she kept showing, even if James said it wasn't really there. "Alright but I get to make a few adjustments."

James raised an eyebrow. He sighed, realizing the blonde wouldn't do it otherwise. "Only if Kim agrees, Star."

Star smiled and suddenly hugged him. "It's good to have you back."

James hugged back. "As friends," he reminded.

"As friends."

Danny talked with David as they flew on. "...and the rocket just went the other way and he almost bombed himself."

David laughed. "I don't believe it."

"So I had to race down and put an ectoshield around him before it exploded and he still cursed at me as I flew away."

David snorted. "What did he say?"

Danny shook a fist in the air and talked in a deep voice. "'You haven't seen the last of me, ectoplasmic waste!' and I said: 'See you at dinner.'"

David laughed. "That never gets old."

Damien smiled. "You know you can make a really good impersonation of your dad, right?"

David nodded. "You're looking more like him everyday. But you're still a twig."

"Hey!" Danny waved his arms around. "It's not that bad," he grumbled. "A few years more of ghost hunting should get rid of that."

Damien nodded. "You keep telling yourself that. Your ghost side may be getting stronger but you have to do something about this scrawny human body. Try actually working out."