Chapter 106: Prom

Chapter 106

Colton's POV

A few weeks later, I decided to swear off relationships until I finish high school. I've had too many distractions and I just need to focus on graduating and moving onto the next step. I sat down at lunch with Sarah. I'm still not completely okay with Cassie's relationship so I just need to separate myself for a while.

"So, do you have plans for after high school yet?" Sarah asked.

"I found this really cool program in Hawaii where you can learn to be a surf instructor. It's a two week program and then I'll be certified. Once I get back, I'm probably work at surf shops and teach lessons and eventually own my own business. Since I fucked around too much in high school, I'm going to do two years at a community college and then transfer to a four year university to finish my degree. I'm also going to go through a CPR course so I can be certified."

"Now, you've really thought this out." She said and I nodded. "What about you?"

"I'm attending Concordia University Irvine in the fall to become a Director of Christian Education and eventually become a youth leader at a church." She explained.

"Awesome." I smiled. "So, if we both don't have a significant other by the time prom rolls around, would you want to go with me?" I asked.

"Sure." She smiled.

"Awesome."

*2 Months Later*

"Colton! You look so handsome!" My mom exclaimed as I walked down the stairs in my tuxedo.

"Thanks." I said, picking up my car keys.

"Take a lot of pictures." She instructed me, straightening my tie.

"Thanks mom, I got it." I said opening the door. "See ya."

"Bye honey! Have a lot of fun!" My mom exclaimed as I closed the door. I sighed and rolled my eyes as I went to my car. I love her, but she's a lot. I pulled into Sarah's driveway and walked up to her door. We kept our promise to each other since none of us started dating someone. I knocked on the door and her mom opened it.

"Colton! You look so nice! Sarah's just putting on her shoes." She said, welcoming me in. I walked into the house and stood on the landing of the stairs, my hands in my pockets. A minute later, Sarah walked down the stairs. It was like a scene from one of those cheesy movies. My jaw dropped and she smiled as she continued her descent.

"You are beautiful." I stated.

"You're not so bad yourself." She smiled.

"Okay! Picture!" Her mom exclaimed, pulling out her phone. We stood together and suffered through the fifty pictures until Sarah was able to pull us away from her mom. We went out to my car and got in. I began to drive to the restaurant we were having dinner at. It wasn't a super fancy, expensive restaurant since we're just friends, but it was still pretty nice. After dinner, we drove to the hotel and waited around in the lobby until they began to let us in.

The theme was Under the Sea so Sarah had on a light blue dress and my tie matched. There were projections in the ballroom that made us feel like we were underwater. There were various paper animals hanging from the ceiling that you would see in the water and the tables were draped with light blue fabric.

We danced to the more upbeat songs and hung out with friends. Of course, Cassie was here with Omar and Amanda and Bryce came together. Brayden showed up, knowing I would be there without a date so he would have someone to hang out with. Sarah ended up finding some friends and went to go hang out with them.

While I was hanging out with my friends, I noticed someone was sitting at one of the tables alone, looking sad. The more I looked at the girl, I realized I recognized the dress.

"Hold on." I said, walking away from Brayden. "Cassie." I said, walking up to her. She looked behind her and quickly started wiping under her eyes, sniffling.

"Hi." She said.

"Are you okay?" I asked and she nodded. "Cassie."

"Omar dumped me. I didn't want to get a hotel room with him tonight so he dumped me and just left." She said, beginning to sob again. I wrapped her in my arms and she cried onto my shoulder. Good thing I was wearing black. After about five minutes, she calmed down and pulled away.

"We'll slow it down one more time, so if you haven't got that slow dance in with that special person then now's your chance." The DJ said as he put on a slow song. I stood up and held out my hand.

"May I have this dance?" I asked and she giggled, taking my hand. I pulled her to her feet and I led her to the dance floor. We slow danced, her head resting on my shoulder.

Halfway through the song, she picked up her head and looked at me. I looked down at her and we smiled at each other. Then, it seemed like magnets drew our lips together as we had a long, slow kiss. We pulled away and she rested her head back on my shoulder as we continued to dance.

The song ended and we all got back together with our friends for the announcing of prom king and queen and the senior slideshow before everyone began to leave. I said goodbye to my friends and began to walk to find Sarah.

"Colton, wait!" Cassie called, running up to me the best she could in heels. "Omar kind of drove, so do you think you could give me a ride home?" She asked.

"Of course." I said and she followed me. I met up with Sarah and the three of us went back to my car. Sarah sat in the passenger's seat and Cassie sat in the back. I drove Sarah home, walking her up to her door.

"Thanks for tonight Colton, I had fun."

"No problem." I smiled, hugging her before watching her go back inside. I went back to my car and Cassie had made her way to the front seat. I drove her home next, walking her up to her door as well.

"Thank you Colton. For everything. You were there for me when I needed you."

"Always." I said, smiling at her. Before I knew it, we were kissing again, both of us forcing ourselves to pull away. "Good night." I smiled, biting down on my lip.

"Good night." She said as she walked into her house. I got back in my car and drove home. I went to my room, kicked off my shoes and tossed my jacket onto the ground. I loosened my tie and flopped onto the bed, sighing.

"Fuck." I said. Just when I thought I was getting over Cassie.

************************************************************************

15 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER