Chapter 102: Surgery

Jessica's POV

"Jessica Biersack." A nurse called, walking into the waiting room. Andy and I both stood up and he hugged me tightly.

"I'll see you in a bit." He said and I nodded, feeling tears running down my cheeks. "Hey, hey, no crying." He said, pulling me away from him and wiping the tears off my face with his thumb. "Everything is going to go great and I'll see you after you wake up."

"Okay." I said, taking a deep breath. We hugged one last time before I slung my hospital bag over my shoulder and walked over to the nurse.

"Follow me." She said as she led me through two double doors, out of the waiting room. We went down the hallway and she opened the door to one of the rooms. "There's a gown for you on the bed and I'll return in five minutes to start getting you prepped for surgery. Please remove all jewelry and you can place your bag on the chair in the corner. Would you like your husband to come stay with you until we take you to surgery?" She asked and I nodded.

"Okay, when I come back, I'll bring him with me."

"Thank you." I said as she left. I walked over to the bed and dropped my bag to the ground. I zipped it open and pulled my baggy shirt over my head. I placed it in the bag and slipped out of my sweats, putting those in the bag as well. I unfolded the gown and put it on, attempting to tie it in the back as best as I could. I zipped up my bag and placed it on the chair before climbing into the bed.

I waited for a few minutes before there was a knock on the heavy, wooden door.

"Come in!" I called and it opened, the nurse walking in with Andy behind her. 

"Andy, can you help me with my gown?"

"Of course." He said, walking to one side of my bed. I got onto my knees and he tied it shut as the nurse began to get everything ready. I laid back down on the bed as the nurse grabbed my arm. She took a wipe and cleaned the part that the IV was going to go in. 

"Okay, this is going to pinch a bit." She warned, slipping the needle into me. I bit my lip as she did it, but was getting used to being poked and prodded, it didn't bother me as much as it probably should've. She hooked me up to a few more monitors and turned them on.

"I'll be back in a few to take you up to surgery." She said and left.

"We're almost done." Andy said, grabbing my hand. "After this, we're done with hospitals and doctors. We're just going to enjoy each other's company and live life, okay?"

"Okay." I said and he smiled, kissing my hand. A few minutes later, the nurse walked in with a few more nurses. They unlocked the wheels on my bed and took their positions to wheel me out of the room. Andy grabbed my hand and followed them down until we reached the doors to the operating floor.

"This is where I stop. I love you so much though and I'll see you in a bit." He said, kissing my lips. I kissed him back and felt his hand pulled from mine as the doctors pushed my bed through the doors. They wheeled me into the operating room and transferred me to the operating table.

"Okay, we're going to give you a local anesthetic as we're going to have to ask you questions during the surgery to make sure we don't do any further damage, okay?"

"Okay." I said. They strapped an oxygen mask to my face and told me to relax. I laid my head back and inhaled the oxygen. They began to position my body and head so they could get a good angle on the tumor. Every time they moved me, they made sure I was comfortable since I wasn't going to be completely out and I had to be in this same position for three or four hours. They started to cover my entire body in drapes to have a sterile field to work with.

As they began to open me up and work on the tumor, they kept asking me to do simple tasks like moving my finger, hand or arm. They started asking me questions and talking to me.

A few hours later, they closed me up and wheeled me to the ICU. I was laying in bed, half awake, when Andy walked in.

"Andy." I smiled and he smiled back. He walked up next to my bed and grabbed my hand.

"Hey, I told you that you could do it."

"Yeah." I giggled.

"They said they got 95% of the tumor out, so that's good news."

"Yayyy!" I cheered.

"I updated everyone and your kids are waiting in the waiting room, do you want me to go get them?" He asked and I nodded. "Okay, I'll be right back." He said, kissing my cheek before leaving. I waited a few minutes until my kids walked in.

"Hey." I said.

"Mom." My daughter cried, running over and hugging me.

"Shh, I'm just fine." I said, stroking her hair.

"Mom, you just had brain surgery." My son said.

"And I survived. They got a lot of the tumor our, and so far there is no complications so I'm going to get to live a longer life."

"You shouldn't have to go through this." My daughter said.

"It's okay. Shit happens. Now go home to your family, I need a nap."

"Okay. I love you." They said, hugging me.

"I love you too." I said as they left. Andy walked in and sat down next to me.

"I-I need to sleep." I said, struggling to keep my eyes open.

"Then go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up." He said.

"Okay." I said, closing my eyes and going to sleep.

***************************************************************************

15 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER (NO SPAM)