Chapter 112: Moving

Chapter 112: Moving

Colton's POV

"I can't believe my baby boy is moving away!" My mom sobbed as she got out of the car in front of my new apartment. Today was moving day and Brayden should be here any minute. 

Brayden enrolled in Santa Monica College as well to get his associates in Entertainment Technology. He's hoping that will help him get a job in game design. He still hasn't decided if he wants to transfer to a university to get his bachelors, but he's got two years to decide.

"Mom, I'm only thirty minutes away." I said as the rest of my family got out of the car.

"For the last eighteen years, you've been five steps away, now you're a thousand!"

"Mom, it's okay." I said, hugging her. She hugged back and cried into my shoulder. I shot my dad a look to help me.

"Camryn, you can cry on the ride home. Let's get his stuff upstairs." My dad said, popping the trunk on the car. He started picking up boxes and joined him. My mom and sister pitched in, the four of us lugging my stuff up the stairs. I placed my boxes on the ground and fished the keys out of my pocket. I searched through the several keys on my keychain until I found the one that opened the door. I unlocked the door and opened it wide. I picked the boxes back up and walked in, allowing my family to follow me.

"Place the boxes in my room." I told them, walking down the hallway and opening the door to my room. Brayden and I decided that I should take the master bedroom since all of this was my idea anyway. 

"You didn't do too bad Colton." My dad said, a genuine look of surprise on his face as he placed more boxes down. This was the first time my family had actually seen my apartment.

"Do you feel better about me living here, mom? Now that you've seen it? It's in a nice area, it's not crawling with roaches and I'm living with my best friend instead of a stranger. I'll be back to visit all the time, okay?"

"Well, I guess knowing that you'll be safe does make me feel a bit better." She said, looking around.

"Colton!" I heard Brayden call. I walked out to the living room and saw him standing in the living room with his parents.

"Hey, do you need help bringing your boxes in? I've almost got all of my stuff loaded in."

"Yeah, that'd be great." We all walked back downstairs and started grabbing boxes from the cars, putting them in the appropriate rooms. We heard a truck outside as we unloaded the last of the boxes into the apartment.

"Sounds like your furniture is here." My dad said as he went to go check on the delivery. My parents and Brayden's parents chipped in to buy us some furniture for the apartment. It was so nice of them since Brayden is still searching for a job and I'm waiting to get interviews. I've applied at a few places along the beach, but I have to keep my shitty job back in LA until I find one down here. The delivery men loaded the furniture into the apartment and placed it where we wanted it. Finally, all that was left to do was unpack which I'm sure would gradually happen over the next month.

"Well, I think it's about time for us to get back." My dad said.

"Alright, thank you all so much for helping us move in. You were very helpful."

"Anytime." My dad smiled, hugging me. "I love you son."

"I love you too dad." I said as we pulled apart. I hugged my mom next, who was already sobbing. I tried comforting her, shooting my dad another look to help me out. Eventually, he just pulled her away and tried to comfort her himself. Finally, I had to say goodbye to Caitlyn. I opened my arms and she ran into them, sobbing into my chest.

"I-I can't believe you're actually l-leaving!" She cried.

"Shh, it's okay. I'll visit all the time and you can come down here anytime. Okay? I got a sofa bed specifically so you could stay here."

"Thanks Colton." She said, pulled away and wiping her eyes. "I love you brother."

"I love you too sister." I smiled, hugging her again.

*One Week Later* 

I walked up to a building on the beach. 

"Hi, I'm here for an interview."

"Are you Colton?"

"Yes sir."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Joe and I'm the owner."

"Nice to meet you too."

"Let me grab us some chairs and we'll start." He said. I bit my lip, super nervous. I really wanted this job. I spent like two hours picking out my outfit. I didn't want to look too stuffy or too casual, so I went with a blue, short sleeved button down shirt, khaki shorts and black converse. He walked out of the building with two folding chairs. He opened them up and we sat down.

"So, what makes you want to work here?" 

"Well, I've always loved surfing. My parents introduced me to it when I was young and I was able to place in a good amount of competitions. This may sound cheesy, but surfing is my life and it was a no brainer when I decided I wanted to make it my career. I've taught a few friends how to surf and I even attended a two week course in Hawaii in June where I got certified as a surfing instructor and even got first aid training."

"You said you wanted to make surfing your career, do you have any goals?"

"Well, I grew up in LA, but decided to move down to Santa Monica to be closer to the beach. Next week, I start classes at Santa Monica College to start my business degree. I plan to transfer to USC in two years to finish my bachelors degree and I really want to own a surf shop and become an instructor."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that you've got goals and ambition. Congrats, you're hired!"

"That's it?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to hear that you've got a passion for surfing. I will have you working behind the counter for a while, renting out equipment and other tasks. Once I decide that you are ready, I will promote you to an instructor. Is that okay?"

"Yes sir, of course."

"Do you have any questions for me?"

"Actually, I still have my job in LA and I need to put in my two weeks."

"Email me your schedule preferences by tomorrow and I'll add you on next week. What size shirt are you?"

"Medium." He went back into the shop and came out with a few items. He handed me a few tank tops and t-shirts with the shops logo on them. 

"You can wear swim trunks or any type of shorts with these. Here are all the forms I'm going to need as soon as possible. Welcome aboard Colton."

"Thank you so much sir." I smiled, shaking his hand and taking the items from him. I went back to my car and drove home with a smile.

************************************************************************

15 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER (NO SPAM)