Chapter 56

Not Edited

In the weeks that followed, news of Hafez's imposing victories were being met with rapturous cheers back in Isfahan. Although the war has caused food prices to skyrocket, Omeed maintained Persia as best she could.

Grain storage were opened and meal centres were spread across Persia to feed the less privileged. Omeed made sure nobody went hungry. They were served a bowl of porridge at mornings and evenings. The scholars and ministers supported her wholeheartedly.

But unfortunately, the scrolls that kept her abreast of what was happening in battle field suddenly came to an halt. She didn't know if they were in a winning position or if they were loosing ground to prince Iraj. And that worried Omeed immensely.

Even the top ministers that once backed her suddenly antagonised whatever suggestion she brought forth. All she now had were the scholars and her uncle the Nazir. "Uncle, I fear something has gone awfully wrong." Omeed whispers quietly as she speaks to her uncle in private.

"I think so too your majesty." He sighs. "Non of my messengers have returned with a reply from the battle field. And it's already been nine days since we last got any information from his majesty." The Nazir says thoughtfully.

"Could Hafez be dead or captured?" Omeed almost screeches out but quickly puts her hand over her mouth. Her heart hammers at the thought of Hafez coming to any harm. "It might explain why the ministers are suddenly being fickle about things." She thought for a moment then adds. "They should be requesting food supplies but we have heard nothing."

"I don't think his majesty is dead or captured because that would mean victory for Iraj. I do think though that we might have a situation where we are dealing with traitors in our midst." The Nazir tells a fuming Omeed. "We will need someone who can't be bought or controlled to meet with his majesty."

"I will do it." Omeed says without a thought. "I can only trust myself in this situation since I cannot have you go. You leaving the palace will jeopardise Persia." She says with a wry smile. "Don't argue with me on this uncle, you do know I am right."

"When do you leave?" The Nazir ask Omeed.

"As soon as I can gather a few supplies and escorts. I will lead them." She tells him. "Just do not inform anyone just yet, I plan on using the element of surprise for this mission. It's our best chance." The Nazir nods his head in agreement.

Omeed immediately sent Zoya to her private residence to have them secretly dry meat, gather herbs and medical supplies. This was being funded with her own income. It didn't bother Omeed since it wouldn't even create a dent on her wealth she has amassed over the years.

She then called a meeting in court announcing supplies should be sent to the battlefield. As expected, her suggestion was met with resistance from even the lowly ministers. Omeed smirked because she needed the distraction. She wanted them to think she had no other alternative but to accept defeat from them.

The Nazir was already busy coming up with a scheme that would help Omeed leave Isfahan undetected. For a while it would be announced Omeed has taken ill and then a week later, if she hasn't returned he would come clean and tell them she went to the battlefield to fight side by side with his majesty.

Omeed was torn between having Zoya or Feriha come with her on the odious trip. Zoya had martial art skills and have been with Omeed the longest time. Feriha had medical skills but was still very much a lady. Omeed still had her children to protect and both women were her most trusted companions.

Deciding against her better judgement, Omeed takes Feriha with her leaving Zoya behind to protect her children even though they were constantly guarded by his majesty's special guards.