Chapter 10

Not Edited

When Amir returned to the palace, he was still unsure if informing Hafez of his findings was a good idea. For different reasons, Amir was torn between being a faithful servant and a friend. He was torn between what he thought was the right thing to do and what he felt should be done. He pondered on as he walked through the many corridors that led to Hafez's chambers.

Amir was still undecided when he got to Hafez's chamber. Announcing his arrival, Hafez invited Amir inside as he dispatched the other eunuchs. "Greetings your majesty."

"Welcome back Amir, you took a while." Hafez said as he continued eating his meal.

"Will you like the report of my findings now, or would you rather have me tell you after your meal your majesty?" Amir stood for few seconds watching Hafez eat before Hafez asked him to commence with his findings as he went back to continuing with his meal.

"Your majesty, there's been a shortage of grain around the farming villages in the nation as a result of drought. And with grain being a major part of our diet, this food shortage has affected everyone especially the poor who have now taken to the street to beg for food."

"And is this affecting the wealthy nobles as well?" Hafez asked cutting him off.

"It is your majesty because the prices of luxurious items like silk have now skyrocketed."

"If they are feeling the pinch, then why have there not been reports regarding this issue?" Amir looked on as Hafez wondered out loud. "These greedy politicians are at it once again."

"What do you mean your majesty?" Amir asked Hafez wondering what he meant since the only person he could think of that was capable of such monstrosity is the prime minister. "Do you perhaps know whose fault it is?"

"Yes Amir, but he'll once again push the blame on low ranking officials. That man is just too greedy and the only thing he cares about is filling his coffers with more wealth." Hafez said suddenly loosing his appetite as he stood up walking away from the table that was covered with meals.

The prime minister owned several businesses in and around Isfahan. He sold goods that ranged from gold to silk. The prices of his items being on the extreme meant more for him. He even knew how to manipulate the welfare and finances of the state to suit his palate.

"I will need to have this addressed in court tomorrow." Hafez mentioned with a sigh. "Where is Ramin? I haven't seen him today." Hafez suddenly asked Amir who seemed taken aback.

He was used to having an audience with Ramin at least once a day to discuss anything from his studies to gossips around the palace. Hafez enjoys having him around because he he was the only sense of normalcy in his hectic life.

"I haven't seen him either your majesty since I was out for the most part of the day. I had come straight here upon my return from the city. I will send someone to fetch him immediately your majesty." Amir bowed in respect as he called in a few eunuchs to clear what was left of Hafez's meal and sent one out to fetch Ramin.

"It looks like a beautiful evening for some music Amir, why don't you make arrangements for us to sit in the courtyard." He ordered Amir who immediately went ahead following his orders. Hafez liked to play or listen to songs whenever he was in a sombre mood or had a big decision to make.

It didn't take long for Ramin to show with a three eunuchs trailing behind him snapping Hafez out of his reverie. "Your majesty." Ramin greeted following protocols even though Hafez has told him time and again not to bother. Ramin reverted back to his old ways as soon as the eunuchs were gone.