Chapter 46

Not Edited

Life for our couple has returned to normal. As normal as it could be considering it was merely two moons ago since the loss of their first child.

Omeed still had the odd nightmares and forlorn look plastered on her face when she's alone or thinks no one was watching. She has had to pretend everything was alright as she holds back her pain and rage. Even worse was her not informing Hafez of her findings.

So far, Feriha has narrowed the assailants to Afsoon, Farrah and Ali. But Omeed has been sceptical about Farrah's inclusion. "Farrah is nasty and conniving but I don't think she's devious." Omeed had argued when Feriha had mentioned Farah's name.

"I still feel it's someone we least suspect." Zoya had muttered.

"Who?" Feriha asked offhandedly. "Who are you suspicious of?"

"I am not sure, but it could be anyone of the other consorts. Maybe a minister or a member of the royal family." Suggests Zoya.

With a thoughtful expression Omeed sighs loudly. "I want this person caught soon. I am afraid I will have to go through this all over again should I fall pregnant." Omeed whispers with tears streaming down her face.

"I will do all I can your majesty." Promised a confident Feriha.

"Are you still avoiding Farzan?" Omeed questions a dejected Feriha as her shoulder drops. "What is going on? I mean you love and miss him so what's depriving you of your happiness?"

They were aware she wasn't on a speaking term with Farzan but didn't know what had conspired between them. To avoid awkwardness between Omeed and herself, Feriha has kept her altercation with Ali a secret. She feared a repercussion should Omeed and Hafez find out.

With an exasperated sigh Zoya shakes her head as she once again catches Omeed deep in thought with that all too familiar sadness on her feature.

Zoya couldn't wait for Omeed's family to arrive. She had sent an urgent missive inviting her aunt and brother over when Omeed had lost her will to live. Feriha and herself thought that a familiar face might be all she needed to get over her grief.

"My queen, the consorts are here for their morning greetings." Zoya announces to Omeed as she stares at nothing in particular out of her bedchamber window.

"Have them wait. I will be with them soon." Omeed orders Zoya who swiftly left Omeed in her stupor.

The consorts all stood up in acknowledgement as Omeed walked in with a fake smile plastered on her pale face. "I thank you all for coming." Says Omeed as she takes her seat before they do.

"Your majesty, you seem pale today." Afsoon mutters snidely with an evil glint in her eyes. "Are you not keeping well?" She ask Omeed.

"I am well consort Afsoon. I have been suffering from a bout of cold lately though." Omeed replies with the same fakery Afsoon had shown. "Thanks for your concern."

"Perhaps you shouldn't hold grudges as they are detrimental to ones health." Afsoon says with a snicker. "Don't you think so?"

"I agree with consort Afsoon. With a clear and calm mind you will become pregnant again your majesty." Farrah adds innocently as the other consorts gasp in horror. But a naïve Farah just rambled on.

Everyone has been warned by Hafez and the dowager queen not to make mention of Omeed's failed pregnancy with consideration for her emotional state of mind. Once again Omeed's eyes waters before she quickly blinks it away.

"I am sorry your majesty, I am sorry. I wasn't thinking straight." Farrah having realised her blunder drops to her knees as she apologises profusely. "I deserve death for causing you pain." She continues as Omeed stares at her blankly.