Chapter 22

Not Edited

The streets and market square of Isfahan was bursting with people as everyone prepared for the wedding season. Atash barely noticed the months passing. He had been too immersed in the running of Omeed's establishments to realise Zoya was due in Isfahan any-day.

Business was flourishing with the support of princess Zubaida backed by Hafez who wasted no time in introducing Atash to the women in the palace even though both young men still hadn't met one another.

Atash had just finished serving a customer when he felt a presence behind him. Turning around slowly, he came face to face with Zoya. With a gasp, initially shocked to see her Atash took his time in studying Zoya.He couldn't believe how beautiful and ladylike she's gotten.

Atash was too taken by Zoya's charm and grace to realise he had been staring at her for what felt like hours without a single word being uttered. The sound of someone clearing their throat brought the young couple out of their reverie.

"It's good to see you all again." The man greeted Atash and the others. He had travelled with Zoya on the loathsome trip from Hindustan to Isfahan. "I cannot believe how busy it is here." He continued as he tried to break the awkwardness that floated in the air.

"Well, welcome everyone, I had forgotten you were arriving soon." Atash replied unenthusiastically something everyone detected in his tone as his gaze drifted back to Zoya who blushed and looked away shyly.

"Well, lord Ahmed suddenly announced during supper one evening we were to join you in Isfahan. It had taken everyone of us by surprise since we had thought we were going to Ming dynasty with him." He shrugged his shoulder without much care as the others nodded their heads in agreement.

"Well I always knew most of you won't be going because it didn't make much sense business wise. Also lord Ahmed needed people to transport some things from Hindustan here. It just wasn't feasible having you all travel with him any longer." Atash replied knowingly except he wasn't Zoya to join them.

"Why did he send Zoya down though? Who will attend to our lady since Zoya is here?" Someone asked.

"Lady Feriha is there to assist our lady ship." Zoya responded as she strolled around the store taking in everything. She could feel Atash's eyes on her as she swung her hips from side to side hoping it got the desired effect.

Atash unable to understand much of the burning desire he felt rapidly flowing through his vein decided he needed to speak with Zoya privately once they were less busy. "What goods did you bring with you?" Back in business mode Atash asked them.

"Jewels, sandals, animal fur and shawls. His lordship asked that we give you this missive. It explains things a lot better." Someone passed a missive to Atash who quickly opened it to read it's content with brows knitted in confusion.

"Lord Ahmed has prepared quite a fair amount of things, is there any other message for me perhaps?" Atash asked expectantly. He hoped Omeed had sent her greetings as it would mean she thought of him.

"There is Atash, here." Zoya said handing the letter Omeed had drafted instructing Atash to marry her as soon as possible. Atash grabbed it excitedly with a smile that turned into a scowl once he started reading what Omeed had written.

"Follow me!" He ordered Zoya as he briskly walked out with her following closely behind him. With a deep sigh Atash spoke.

"I cannot marry you. I told you before and I will tell you again." He stated as soon as they were away from hearing shot. "I love someone else Zoya and you know it." He continued unable to look her in the eyes. "I have always loved Omeed not you."