Chapter 17

Not Edited

The moon cascaded silver rays far up in the sky casting eerie shadows over the castle as Hafez played his flute. It's been a five days since Amir accorded the task of investigating Atash's group to an old acquaintance of his. In that amount of time, Hafez have reverted back to his old façade of feigning illness.

It has become an unwritten rule for him to fall too ill to attend court whenever Hafez had to undertake a big decision that would affect several lives. Hafez did this to avoid detection and suspicion of any sort. Though Hafez still dealt with the odd petitions and scrolls at the end of every court session each day.

As Hafez played on trying not to dwell on less pressing issues, he stared long and hard at the moon. He suddenly wondered if Omeed could see the same beauty he saw when he glanced at illuminating rays from the clouds.

As his eyes got a little teary with unshed tears, Hafez quickly looked away trying to fend off his rather emotional thoughts that were trying to throw him in a depressing state of mind.

Sensing Amir's unannounced arrival, Hafez pushed himself to his feet from his sitting position on the floor and glanced around behind him. He shot Amir a look as his eyes sparkled with curiosity and concern.

Hafez hoped Amir finally had the information that would determine his next course of action. One that would the start of a foreseen unavoidable battle.

"Your majesty, I have the information you wanted." Amir said, his lips held a half smile with half smirk.

"Very good Amir, let's return to my bedchamber." Hafez said returning Amir's smirk hoping enough information had been gathered in the short amount of time the investigator had at his dispense.

"Have the royal physician over first thing tomorrow morning. My chest infection doesn't seem to have cleared up. And I feel feverish." Hafez said loudly as they walked passed several eunuchs and royal guards. He faked a painful groan gripping his chest firmly.

Amir gave Hafez a wry grin trying hard not to bark a laughter at Hafez's fraudulent act and behaviour. With a roll of his eyes, Amir ogled at Hafez.

"Your majesty, let me assist you." Amir took a hold of Hafez's arm as he spoke. "Careful now your majesty." He teased further enraging Hafez knowing Hafez hated skin contact of any kind.

"You can let go now!"  Hafez said angrily as he entered his chambers. His irritation caused Amir to chuckle quietly as he glowered resentfully at Amir who without further hesitation sent everyone out.

"What was he able to find out?"  Hafez asked as soon as he made certain they were alone.

"Plentiful your majesty." Hafez raised an eyebrow then made himself comfortable on the mattress as Amir commenced. "First the establishment is owned by a young lord called Ahmed. Though born in Persia, his family originated from Afghanistan."

He breathed out as Hafez nodded his head taking in the information. "Ahmed is an orphan with a younger sister whom he has singlehandedly brought up."

"From what he gathered, Ahmed is very intelligent and gifted with good looks that has the ladies in Istanbul swooning at his feet. Though with impeccable manners that made him one of the most eligible bachelors in Istanbul." 

Hafez could only roll his eyes once Amir mentioned Omeed's bachelor status thinking he was obviously enjoying the playing field.

"He's very kind and one of the wealthiest men in Turkey. He steers clear away from conflicts hence he hates politics. His martial art skills is unbeatable and he runs his businesses with a iron fist." Amir finished seeing the calculating smile plastered on Hafez's face.