Chapter 20

Not Edited

Within four moons Omeed and her group had made the journey from Turkey through Persia and Afghanistan into Hindustan. Where they planned on staying for a year or two. Before either going to Ming or Joseon dynasty.

The trip hadn't been smooth sailing for Omeed who lost her butler to an unknown illness before they left Afghanistan. The elderly man had been glad to spend the remainder of his days in Afghanistan where he was born.

Two other members of her staff dropped out of the trip a month into the journey stating they wanted to remain in Turkey with their family and friends. This had angered Omeed who quickly rounded up her staff and asked if anyone else wanted to quit.

By the time they reached Hindustan, there were only twenty of them. Along the way, as traveling merchants Omeed traded. She bought and sold whatever she thought she could profit from. Even deciding to learn new dances along the way in her free time.

Atash and Omeed kept regular contact with him updating her frequently. Omeed had been overjoyed when Atash spoke of his constant dealings with princess Zubaida. She was glad it meant that they had a passageway into the Persian royal family.

When they got to Hindustan, Omeed secured them a big home choosing to remain in Agra for the duration of their stay. She often traded with the Mughal empire, making new acquaintances much to Zoya's displeasure.

Zoya feared Omeed wouldn't want to leave Hindustan if she got too comfortable with the people and her life there. So she set about sabotaging Omeed's relationship and business wherever possible.

But Omeed had been too preoccupied learning new things to realise they had a traitor in their midst even as business gradually folded up in Agra. Or so Zoya expected and thought.

All Zoya wanted was for the trip to come to an end and for her to see Atash whom she hasn't seen in a little over a year. She got jealous when he spoke of princess Zubaida's ladies in waiting in most of his missives.

One evening during Feriha's routine stroll, she had heard a conversation between Zoya and a customer Omeed dealt with on a regular basis. As she listened in on the ladies, Feriha had been too shocked to confirm her suspicion deciding to confront Omeed on the issue.

"Omeed, there's something I need to talk to you about." Feriha said as she walked into Omeed's room then gently shut the door behind her.

"What is it Feriha? Whenever I hear you use those words it's usually a serious matter." Omeed teased.

"It's about your little maid Zoya." Feriha said with sarcasm etched on her voice as Omeed rolled her eyes. Things have gotten from bad to worse between Zoya and Feriha over time. When Omeed had confronted both ladies, she could only conclude they didn't like each other.

"Zoya? What has she done to offend you this time around?" Questioned Omeed as she took in the furious glare Feriha gave her. Omeed shuddered playfully sending Feriha a mock surrender.

"That girl is vicious and vindictive Omeed. I just heard her telling someone you sold fake goods and that your goods were too pricey." Omeed stared blankly as she listened to Feriha's accusation. "She's sabotaging you business Omeed."

Feriha sighed exasperatedly. She couldn't believe Omeed didn't trust her words. As she frantically tried to convince her she was being truthful. "I know." Omeed said in a low tone of voice Feriha could barely hear. "That's why we will be leaving this place soon."

"You knew? And yet you allowed her continue? My dear friend why haven't you sent her on her way?" Feriha questioned Omeed in quick succession.

"Worry not Feriha because Zoya wont be coming with us. I will be sending her back to Isfahan with a few others soon." Omeed smirked then said. "I don't want her getting suspicious so---" Omeed put her index finger to her sealed lips indicating for Feriha to keep quiet about it.