Chapter 37

Not Edited

He never knew the tears and pain of another could affect him the way he felt at that moment as he watched Omeed. She was on her knees with her head bowed down at her mother's graveside crying her eyes out. She gasped for air clutching her chest as she wailed.

"I am so sorry Medar. I am sorry for leaving you behind. I am sorry for not protecting you like a daughter should." Omeed cried harder as Hafez watched on. "I am even visiting you so late." Omeed laughed humourlessly. "I am the worse daughter anyone could have asked for."

At Omeed's words, Hafez stepped closer laying his hand on her shoulder. Omeed stiffened at his action but relaxed knowing it was only Hafez. She pressed herself into Hafez with her head resting on his broad chest. Shaking as she sobbed, leaving behind a patch that attested to the evidence of her pain.

He had asked Amir and the guards to keep watch from a distance wanting Omeed to get the privacy she was due as she mourned her mother's death peacefully.

It seemed like hours but not once did Hafez complain as he gazed down at her lovingly. His chest felt stuffy and his heart constricted as she sobbed harder. He absolutely despised the way he felt at that moment.

Hafez blamed himself for her plight and wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and make the pain she was going through fade into oblivion. Most of all he hated the feeling of helplessness.

Hafez was baffled when he noticed tears on his own cheeks. He had not realised he had been crying. Not one to be seen as emotional, with a groan he furiously wiped his cheeks taking a big gulp of air to cool his rampant emotions. 

Looking around, Hafez visibly relaxed knowing nobody had seen what he termed 'A moment of weakness'.

"Let's look around Hafez." Omeed softly called out as she stood back up on her feet stumbling a little.

"Careful Omeed!" Hafez warned lurching forward to support her weight. Hafez became suddenly overwhelmed with fear of Omeed ever hurting or crying like she had just done earlier. He didn't want her to feel such despair ever again. The emotions it had cause him had been too shattering for him and that scared Hafez greatly.

"Thank you." Omeed responded shyly as she meekly pulled away from him. She was getting sick of playing the damsel in distress. Omeed was far from weak but Hafez made her feel weakened in every way possible.

Perhaps it was knowing he'll be there when she fell, knowing he will be there as a shoulder for her to cry on when she cried. Or maybe she was just a weakling underneath all that strong persona.

"Omeed, I want you to promise me something." They gazed into each other's eyes lovingly as he spoke. "Promise me you'll never hurt again. Promise me you'll always be happy henceforth. And promise me we will always be together."

She was taken aback at his words as she wondered what could have 'spurred him on'.

"Hafez." Omeed murmured quietly taking in his pain filled expression as she searched his face. This was too big a promise to ask of her and as much as she would like the same, she knew it was a promise literally impossible to keep.

"I am waiting Omeed." Hafez's voice brought her out of her silent reverie. "Did I ask too much of you?" Saddened, Hafez asked Omeed who just bit her lips looking away from him. Her eyes held a faraway expression. "You cannot promise me those things." Hafez muttered quietly as if to convince himself of the inevitable.

With a twinge of pain Omeed responded. "You ask too much of me Hafez. Those are promises too big a burden to keep."

"I know Omeed. I just hate seeing you pained. I hate feeling like a dagger is being ran through my chest every time you cry or are saddened. I hate feeling helpless when I watch you knowing the most I can do is console you."