Chapter 7

Not Edited

Isfahan was buzzing with the news of the emperor's impending nikah. The festivities started immediately the words got out. The citizens were overjoyed as most saw it as long overdue.

Hafez had successfully persuaded the court into accepting his terms. Despite the fact that the conditions he had laid down in place were beyond outrageous, the ministers had no other alternative but to adhere to them.

There were three chief consorts specifically being brought in for their beauty and talent in both poetry and dancing skills. And additional ten young girls randomly selected across the kingdom as special court ladies who will only hope Hafez grace them with a stay on their bed to elevate their status within his harem.

Afsoon, the daughter of prime minister Ali has been groomed since birth for the all elusive position as empress of Persia, she is only a year younger than her brother Farzan and a year older than Hafez.

Many who have crossed path with Afsoon has spoken at great length of her beauty and intelligence that far surpasses her brother's creating a rivalry between them.

Some even said she was not only talented but kind hearted. Unfortunately, those were the words of half-witted novice. In actuality, Afsoon was deceitful, malicious and conceited. With a sly streak that rivals that of the devil. She had learnt from a very young age how to waltz her way out of dilemmas.

Afsoon was her father's hidden weapon to his attainment of widespread power and wealth. Ali couldn't help but lament how much she differs strikingly from her wayward brother whom despite being his only heir, brought nothing but shame to the family.

 Farzan was a disgrace hence Ali sent him away moons ago whilst he paved way for Afsoon's reign in the king's harem..

Back in Turkey, Atash has blatantly avoided a confrontation with Omeed in the wake since hearing their not too subtle plan. He busied himself with his lessons and martial arts.

It's now been a fortnight and Omeed has noticed the drastic change in Atash. He was barely ever around unless he had errands to run. When she confronted him, he had cited his lessons as a reason.

"Atash, her lady would like to speak to you." Zoya said with slight hint of a blush as Atash lazily walked in one evening after being out all day. She played with her fingers as she silently waited for his response.

Atash stiffened with his shoulders going rigid. With a sigh and not a glance towards Zoya he stalked off to meet Omeed.

Knocking on Omeed's door she invited him inside and asked that he took a sit opposite her. This was it, the time has arrived. Atash thought to himself bitterly. Omeed's voice was law since she owned them but she wanted them to have a chance at realising their true feelings.

"Atash, I have spoken to Zoya at length and thought it best if you two got married." She went straight to the point as she took in his expression, it showed he was expecting her words. "I know this might seem too sudden but you've known each other for a long time and I am sure she'll make you a fine bride." He glowered resentfully at her words.

"I understand my lady, but I am not ready to settle down. We still have a revenge to carry out."

"I know that Atash, but you both aren't getting any younger and Zoya is of marriageable age."

"Why not have her marry one of the young servants in our home instead of me? Or a merchant?" Atash suggested to Omeed's horror. She couldn't believe he'll think so lowly of Zoya.

Marrying Zoya to a merchant here would mean leaving her behind when they leave for Isfahan. She had half expected him to be duly grateful.

Because most men will be jump at the opportunity to have Zoya their bride. Other than her status as a servant, she had the characteristic and personality of a fine noble lady.